A Coven of Witches

They approached Godric together, crowding into the gallery around the portrait.

'Ladies!' boomed Godric. 'Should I be scared?'

Narcissa nudged Hermione forward and it seemed the others naturally accepted her as their spokesperson and clan-leader.

'Godric,' she said with a certain no-nonsense tone.

'Ah! I should definitely be scared! This is precisely why I always preferred the company of men...'

'I don't have time for polite preamble,' Hermione said sternly. 'Minerva's life is at stake here...'

'...a formidable and worthy woman...'

'...indeed. We need to borrow your sword,' she said firmly. 'Please,' she added as an afterthought.

'Am I allowed to ask why?'

'Actually, perhaps I should ask where you got the sword in the first place...'

'Ahh, you wish to know the heritage of Caladclere. Of course, the most famous story is that I stole the sword from Ragnuk the First, King of the Goblins, and he was the maker of the sword.' Godric was blushing into his bushy red beard as if embarrassed.

'I have read as much,' Hermione said and eyebrow raised in disapproval.

'Well, the truth of the matter is Ragnuk never made the sword and had no more claim to it than I did. Though I brought it back in line with the original intentions of such a heroic weapon. The sword is, in fact, at least another millennium older than it is now.'

'Perhaps around 200BC?' said Hermione with a quizzical eyebrow.

Narcissa wondered how she even knew these things. Why did she even know these things?

'Ah, you've made the potential connection?'

'Is it the sword?'

'I don't know, possibly, but impossible to determine.'

'And what of the engraving of your name along the blade?'

'Ah! A vanity, I'm afraid, Ms Granger.'

'You wished to claim it fully,' she sighed. 'I'm afraid, Godric. It doesn't actually belong to you then and to return to my original opening gambit, we wish to borrow the sword and would appreciate your cooperation. Cooperation really would make life easier.'

'May I ask why?'

'We need to perform a spell to determine where Minerva might be.'

'And if I didn't oblige?'

'I'm sure we would find a way without your permission. The risk is that it would be far more permanent than you would like.'

'Ah! You are, by yourself as formidable woman, Ms Granger. Even without the veritable coven of witches around you. I admit to being intimidated. Normally, the sword answers the appeal for help by my chosen successors - a true Gryffindor. I think we can say you have surpassed all those categories and probably added a few of your own.' He laid the sword down out of the vision of the frame. 'I suspect you will find the sword in the library. I would very much appreciate it if you return it afterwards. After all, someone of equal worth may require it in the future and these days I consider myself more of a guardian than possessor.'

'Thank you, Godric.'

It was quite a sight to behold as eleven witches and a four-year-old were led out to the large open lawn in the Beaumont Gardens by Hermione Granger carrying a sword.

Even George gulped as they passed and Arthur touched his arm, preventing him from making any funny quips. Now was not a time for that, though George understood that too. Instead, Arthur stepped forward and took Dominque from Fleur's arms.