XXXV: Web Of Lies (Part 1)

He yet again went over everything he wanted to tell Melody in his head.

Now sure that he wouldn’t miss anything.

However before he was able to open his mouth he spotted a familiar red car.

And near at the corner there was Cindy, now making her way towards them.

‘What is Cindy doing here!?’ His mind literally screamed. Now of all times, when he’s finally able to find Melody. When he’s finally almost able to talk things out to her. Almost…

The moment he met eyes with Cindy all thoughts of what he wanted to tell Melody came down the drain. Forcefully pushed back at the innermost corner of his brain.

That’s right, he couldn’t dare think of Melody just yet… after all, they’re contract already ended mere months ago. Now, there are things he had to take care of… there’s Cindy.

“Hey baby, I came to pick you up.” The petite woman’s voice scratched his ears, his eyes almost winced. And before a word of response come out his lips she continued.

“Oh hey, hi! Melody right? No need to be awkward with me. I heard from Clarence regarding the contract between you two. I should thank you. It must have been hard pretending to be married to a guy who’s in love with someone else.” The emphasis of ‘someone else’ in Cindy’s voice was far too palpable to miss even for Clarence. She was definitely rubbing it to Melody’s face the wrong way.

Clarence clenched his fist. Beside him he could see the uncomfortable expression on Melody’s face. He wanted badly to erase it but he couldn’t… Not this time, and it sure as heck sucked. When Melody couldn’t utter even a word, it pained him even more. It was almost torture.

“Cindy let’s just go.” He made sure that it came out imperative, he even almost gnarled at Cindy before turning back to Melody. Looking at her made him pause, even blinked for a second, gone was the confident girl going over workouts just an hour ago, at this moment she looked like a deer in the headlights, the muscles from his snarling face a second ago slowly relaxed into a gentle gaze. He wanted to reach out to her bug he couldn’t.

“I’m sorry Melody. I guess we’d have to talk next time. Good night.”

“Yeah, sorry Melody. My baby kinda planned a lot of things for us tonight. So we need to go.”

“O-oh, it’s no big deal. I-I just happened to meet him here by coincidence. I’ll be heading home now. Good night.”

With that she turned and walk away. And to Clarence it looked as if it was the same as the day she told him they should end the contract… the day she left him.

‘I’m sorry Melody. I’m sorry.’

The phase kept ringing in his head as he made his way to the parking lot with Cindy. Once he was sure they were out of earshot he asked,

“Did you really have to say that!?” he didn’t even bother hiding how irate he was. Yet it seems as though the message didn’t pass through as Cindy faked an innocent face. Like she always does.

“What are you talking about Clarence? I was simply just greeting her.”

“Drop the act Cindy. We both know that wasn’t a simple greeting.”