Lost and Found

A man lit a fuse as dozens of fireworks launched into the sky.

"Wooo! This is great, don't you think?" The man asked a lady, clearly drunk. The lady giggled.

"Of course." She said. Around them, plenty of other people. Fireworks launched into the sky, booming, making it hard to hear and flashing, just so the night was visible for mere seconds. As everyone partied, a black sludge came from underneath a nearby truck. A mouth appeared. A large grin lay across it as the sludge grew bigger and bigger...

The sky was black with a tint of orange. A black figure stroller along the street, wearing a top hat and a cloak. The figure had a perfectly circular head, and only a grin was stricken across it. Down, the neck went to a body, covered by the cloak. Even so, you could tell that there was nothing else to this figure. The figure was entirely black. It walked into a more open street, walking to a larger building compared to the rest in the entire, large city. This city is huge. You can't see from one end to the other even if you tried. However, surrounding the city is a black water with seemingly no bottom. The only way to cross it is by boat. Even so, unless you know where you're going, you'd get lost.

The figure entered the building, an arm with four claw-like fingers opening the door. Inside had plenty of other beings, almost none the same. They all had their uniqueness in size, appearance, personality, everything. The black figure entered an elevator. The elevator took off upward, heading straight for the top. As fast as it moved, it stopped quickly. The figure exited into a room with a few beings on computers.

"They've called." The figure said. A lady being turned to the figure. She nodded and pressed a button. Behind her, a door opened. The figure walked to it and entered a darker room. He took a few steps before stopping. In front of him sat three other figures. However, they could not be seen.

"Care to explain?" One of them asked.

"Explain what? Doing my job?" The figure from before asked in return.

"Maybe the unnecessary killing." One of the other ones said. The grin on the black figure disappeared.

"I can't freeload a little bit?" He asked.

"Not when it's countless of people enjoying themselves." One of the other ones replied. One of the beings in front of him, a bigger yet skinnier one, stood up.

"Your job is to scout out. Recordings have spotted you, and now the world is getting worried. You're not supposed to kill in big crowds and you know that." He said. The black figure sighed.

"So what're you gonna do then?" He asked.

"Well, there's only one answer, isn't there?" The skinnier figure replied.

The black figure left the building, slouched over a bit.

"Really overreacting over nothing." The figure said once more. He made a large sigh.

"What do I do now though?" He asked himself. He just walked through the city, past guards, regular civilians, just like any normal world. A few hours passed of him walking around. That's when he stopped by an alley. He turned to it. He walked down, hearing the sound of dripping. He quickly found a boy with short white hair staring at a dead, doglike creature. The boy was human, of course. The figure grinned.

"So, what is a kid like you doing down here?" He asked, getting a little closer. That's when he realized the sound of dripping was blood. He watched as the kid took a bite of the creature and stared directly at him.

"Huh, you've gotta be pretty screwed up to do that, even if you were hungry." The figure said. The boy stared at him as he got closer.

"So, do you mind if I asked what happened to you?" The figure asked. The boy quickly jumped at him, but the figure backed up fast enough to avoid him.