the consequences that come

"Beau, right there."

My stern voice amuses him more than it gets him to listen to me. I point to the open overnight bag perched on top of his bed. My clothes for tomorrow morning and later on tonight are already packed and have been for about half an hour. As for him, he's been too busy occupying himself with the 'duteous' task of distracting me to pack for himself. That leaves it up to me to keep him on track if we want to make it to the hotel on time.

My guess is that he's purposely dragging this out under the impression that if he makes us late enough, we won't end up going. A little over a week ago, Mariella asked him to attend this charity ball a business associate of theirs is hosting in Anaheim. She more or less pulled him into it as a consequence for getting suspended which is reasonable to a fault. She said I was more than welcome to come along, but Beau never mentioned all of this to me until yesterday. Meaning he sat on this for a week without giving me so much as a heads up because being the stubborn little shit he is thought he may be able to get out of it. News flash, baby...

I've tried asking him countless times why he's so opposed to these gatherings. All I'm able to get out of him is that they're stuffy and boring, filled to the brim with rich people who are willing to throw their money at anything that makes them feel good. Hence the 'charity' part of it all. There'll be an auction taking place where all the proceeds go to a Children's hospital in L.A. which I thought was really kind until Beau told me the only reason these banquets take place is so that business associates could mingle about talking about..well, business. It's, for the most part, one elaborate sham for business deals to be made and connections to be formed. Money's a part of it, but not in the way I thought it was.

Still, I tried to convince him to make the most of it. I won't be forcing him to mingle and socialize with everyone else. It's being hosted at an extravagant hotel venue so we can go up to our room whenever we please after the food is served. I was very strict on that part. I didn't want to go to some fancy banquet only to end up eating room service that I have to wait up to an hour for. It's silly and I figured as long as we give our donation to whatever raffle it is that they're playing and participate during dinner, we can do whatever the hell we want for the rest of the night.

However, Beau is so stubborn, he refuses to compromise. We're going, even I have to drag him out of this room by his ear. If he wants to act like a petulant toddler all night he will be treated as such.

He stomps over to me with nothing on but the pants he's wearing for tonight. That's a start at least. "And what makes you think I'm going to need pajamas for the night?" he asks while attempting to snake his arms around my torso. I know better than to fall for that trick again, as it caused me to be pinned down against the mattress we're standing over by his ginormous body. Rather, I take his hands before they can grasp my hips and hold them down to his sides.

With this attitude, he's not going to be getting anything from me tonight. "Just be decent for once and pack a pair of pajamas, in case of an emergency," I grumble. I begin to trudge away into his closet to fish out a pair of sweatpants and an extra white tank top. He tries to make a leap for me again, which only makes him stumble over his big feet and earns him the finger.

"What emergency, Jo?" he huffs. Fuck, is he keen on fighting me on just about every angle thing today.

Pushing his folded clothes into his chest, reciprocating the same difficult attitude he's presenting to me, I mutter sarcastically, "If somebody lights the fucking building on fire and we have to evacuate I don't want you running around out there naked, got that?" Dramatic he wants to act, overdramatic he shall receive.

"Don't be so overdramatic." It's as if he can read my mind, I swear. He throws his clothes carelessly into the overnight bag, again leaving it to me to tidy it up so that all of our stuff fits in there neatly. Ass.