Under a tree

Evie's pov

My head started spinning and my body was gradually swaying from side to side. I knew this feeling, I had it many times on the isle, but it couldn't be happening right now of all the time. Not while The King was there.

I felt the consciousness fading from my body and the last thing I remember was a pair of soft strong hands catching me.

Mal's pov

As soon as Evie collapsed I knew I had to get her out of there. I scooped her up and ran through doors and corridors. Until I could no longer think straight and know which direction I came from.

Eventually after running through the maze like corridors I burst through a set of doors that lead me outside into the open again. The sun was blazing in the sky and it was burning hot. So I scanned the area for shade. Then I saw the tall trees that led into a wood behind the back of the field. So I slowed down my pace because it was too hot to run in the heat and walked over to the shadows.

Once I got there I found a tree that's branches covered the floor around it creating a room inside. So I pushed back the branches and carried Evie inside. I sat down and place her head in my lap. She was still out so I lent against the tree and stroked her blue hair gently, to avoid it getting tangled.

She was breathing steadily and it was quite and calming sitting under the tree away for the others. They would probably come looking for me later but for now it was just me and E. I wasn't sure how long it would take for her to wake up so I pick up sticks on the floor around my and tried to bend the to make a heart. Of course it didn't work and they snapped. But it passed the time because Evie's eyes then started to flutter open.