Chapter 24

Edelweiss:Courage
❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁
Zoe's POV

The two of us entered the apartment, a thick coat of silence enveloping us. I felt bad about making Levi feel bad, but at the same time, I felt that I was right. Maybe I was missing out on some of the story, and Levi hadn't told me everything. But even so, what was happening to Celine was definitely not okay. 

In my eyes, she was still a sweet, caring and genuine person who wanted to call Levi her son. Levi's inability to move on from his past, which I completely understood, got in the way of developing the beautiful relationship the two could have.

"I need to tell you everything. So that you'll understand.", Levi muttered, a tiny bit of anger still present in his voice. 

I admired the courage that he had, allowing him to tell me about his past. He was so unlike myself, it was hard to believe that we were together. I nodded my head, motioning for him to continue.

He said, "Zoe, the story is much more complicated than that. You see... my dad is also dead." 

My eyes widened. His father had also passed away? A billion theories rushed through my head, making me think of different scenarios that his dad's death could lead to. Unfortunately, most of my thoughts weren't exactly happy ones. Suddenly, Levi's eyes filled with tears. My heart started to pound inside my chest. I knew that what he was going to say next wasn't going to be good. And I was right.

His eyes positioned themselves on me, and in a choked voice, he said, "I killed him."He what?! 

My jaw dropped open, fear coursing through my body. He-he killed him? No. He couldn't. No way. Levi wasn't like that. There must have been another explanation, an unspoken part to the story. My mind was asking me to ask him to give me some details, but my body betrayed me. I felt myself getting out of my chair, and backing up, my heart thudding loudly. Levi's expression stayed the same, his face not showing any sign of surprise at my reaction. Instead, the emotion in his eyes changed, showing nothing but defeat, and sadness.

"You see Zoe? I am a monster. And no matter how hard I tried to warn you, you stuck with me. And now I can't let you go. I can't, but I'm going to have to. I understand what you're thinking, and I completely agree with the way you just reacted.", he said, his voice sounding broken. 

Only then did my brain start to function again. My mind asked me to ask him questions, and I complied.

"Can you tell me the exact story? If you're comfortable with me knowing about it, of course." 

He nodded. His eyes set on me. But this time, they weren't as piercingly set as they usually were. He was looking up and down, between the floor and my eyes, almost seeming... ashamed. No matter how I thought about it, I knew that there was a bigger part of the story that would explain this horrible news.

He softly said, "My dad, Celine and I were at a new construction site. He was building a complex in the hills, and he wanted to show me. The view was one of the best one's that I had ever seen in my life, and I found myself staring at the other hills surrounding us, right at the edge of the hill."

His voice broke, making my heart break along with it. He was so strong and courageous for going through with this, and telling me what had happened. I walked closer to him, placing my hand on his shoulder, but he didn't look up. His eyes were set on the floor, and his entire form was slumped, displaying his depressed self.

"He-he tried to call out to me. He walked closer, but I didn't listen. My mind still told me that I didn't have to listen to him, because he meant nothing to me. He reached me, his hand touched my shoulder, and I accidentally stumbled back into him, out of surprise. He l-lost his footing, and he... went down the hill. He didn't survive because of too much internal and external bleeding. He died."

Surprise coursed through me. My heart was breaking. Levi had been through so much. How was he still so strong? How was he able to stay put?

Before I could take him in my arms, he said, "But you know what the worst part is? The fact that I'm still not able to forgive him. Every single day, every single f*cking day, I think of him. I think of the fact that he died. And the last thing he did was call out to me, telling me to go to him. But I didn't. And I can't even forgive him. That's what makes me a monster. That's what I didn't want you to know, Zoe." 

He broke down, his head in his arms, and started sobbing. His heartbroken cries reached my ears, and I instantly engulfed him in a hug. My heart broke, and I could feel a lone tear running down my cheek.

He hugged me back, his face burying itself in my neck. His tears soaked my shirt, but I didn't mind. Of course I didn't mind. The tears that ran down my cheeks dropped off of my cheeks, and onto his back. As he continuously sobbed, all I could think of was one thing: His courage.

This is so sad, even I'm crying! Thank you so much for reading everyone! Hope you all liked the chapter. If you did, make sure to comment, vote and share! Love you guys! Peace out!