Chapter 13

June 2003

Harry shook his head in disappointment.

"At least you're not trying to lie about that." He hissed.

"Look I'll never forgive myself for not being there for you Harry, and for the way you guys found out about Mattheo and me but-"

"You were fucking Riddle while Draco murdered Dumbledore." Harry stated coldly, completely void of emotion.

"I know." Florence felt tears beginning to fall from her face again as she stubbed out her cigarette. "I know Harry, and I'm so sorry. If I could go back and do it all again trust me when I say I would-"

"Really?" He leaned over his desk. "Is that so? What would you do differently, Florence?" He stared at her harshly, like she was a criminal.

"All of it." She fought back her tears. "I promise you, I'd do all of it differently. I'd never have let him sit next to me in that fucking potions class. I'd never have let him speak to me, he'd never have got into my head, he'd have never..." She shook her head, unable to process the impossible weight of regret. She looked back up at him.

"That next day was one of the worst days of my life. It was the beginning of the end for me."

"No." Harry stated boldly. "The beginning of the end for you was when you welcomed the devil into your life with open arms and open legs."

---

June 1997

As the pair walked together up to the castle they couldn't keep their hands off each other, Matheo stopping every few seconds to kiss her. As they approached the archway Mattheo pulled her back into the bushes.

"Theo stop!" She giggled. "We have to get in before people wake up!" He pulled her in close to him, his smile slowly dropping as he looked down at her.

"Lake..." His expression skewed, and she looked up to find a kind of fear in his eyes.

"What's-" He cut her off, lowering himself onto her mouth again. He pressed his forehead into hers, unable to look her in the eye.

"Florence... Flora I just want you to know that last night was... I never thought someone could make me feel..." She titled her head upwards, cupping his cheeks in her hands to bring their eyes together.

"You don't have to say anything." She smiled sweetly. "I know." They gave each other a final kiss before she ran off into the castle. Her cheeks hurt from smiling, and her body ached from the night before but her head was filled with the sweetness of his voice.

"Florence Lake." She suddenly snapped out of it, looking up to see Professor McGonagall pacing towards her. "Where on this Earth have you been?" She shouted, grabbing Florence's shoulders.

"I was just out for a walk, I-"

"Are you alright? Are you hurt?" The professor began looking her over, assessing to see if she was injured.

"No, professor, no I'm fine. What's... what's going on?"

"Oh, my dear." She wrapped an arm around her and began leading her down the corridor. "I'm afraid I have some rather shocking news. You'll want to see your friends, I'll take you to them. Harry will need you now more than ever." Florence stopped dead in her tracks, suddenly remembering Harry's excursion with Dumbledore.

"What's happened?" Her eyes widening with fear. "Is Harry alright? Professor, has something happened to Harry?" McGonagall wrapped her arm around Florence again and began walking.

"No dear, Harry is safe and he's fine. I'm afraid he has gone through quite an experience, but he's alright." As they reached the Gryffindor common room the professor placed herself in front of Florence.