Chapter 22

June 2003

Cloaked figures stood behind him, haunting black mounds lining up in army formation. He walked forward, his hand slowly extending towards her, his black boots dipping into the cold water.

"Don't be afraid." As he placed himself in front of her she could see aspects of his face in the darkness, she could see his grin. 

"What a ridiculous thing to say. Of course I'm going to be afraid, Mattheo. Fear is your scent, it's attached to you, it follows you wherever you go making everyone around you inhale it." He let out a small breathy laugh, shaking his head slightly but keeping his hand extended.

"So, the little mouse has grown some claws?" He smirked, leaning down towards her. "I like that." He slowly placed his hand into hers and she let him, not for fear of fighting but for lack of will to fight at all. She'd known as soon as she stepped back into the world, back into civilisation that he'd find her. She didn't have it in her to disappear again, to build another set of four walls to bury herself in, not after she'd seen her old friends, not after she'd seen how tired Harry was.

"We have much to catch up on it seems." He yanked her hand, pulling her body tightly next to his, his arm wrapping around her as he secured her as he began walking her out of the shallows. Her eyes tensed, straining to see the faces of the soldiers lined up in front of her.

"Fearing me is one thing, Flora, but there is no need to fear my troops." He whispered darkly, his lips leaning down to lightly brush the tip of her ear. "They're excited to meet you, they'll rejoice your name as they throw a feast in your honour" Flora snapped her neck to look up at him, fire and water in her eyes as she feared the anger his presence brought her.

"Why? Why would they-"

"Because they'll want to celebrate, my love." He smiled down at her. "Their queen is finally home."

---

May 1998

He held her as she sobbed, his grip nearly suffocating her as she shook in his arms.

"They're approaching! They're coming back!" A student shouted, running down the halls.

"Oh god, oh god oh god-"

"Keep calm." Mattheo picked her up, placing her down onto her feet and grabbing her face. "Look at me, everything is going to be alright. I'm going to get you out of here."

"What if he's succeeded? What if Harry really went and... what of everyone else? All those who have died... what of the Weasley's? How will George-"

"Flora look at me." His tone changed, altered into a cold demand which she naturally obeyed. "I'm going to kill him." Flora stared up at the man, the man who had brought her both the most pleasure and pain she'd ever felt, the man who'd forced himself into her life, the man who she'd lost all her friends for. She suddenly realised why he'd married her, and why she'd gone along with it like a mindless puppet. He had no father, not really. He had no family. What he did in that church made her his, and whether she wanted to believe it or not she no longer had anyone else. The bricks of their old school crumbed around them, dead bodies lined up, dying bodies begging for help. The grey faces of children, children younger than herself, surrounded them. The world without him was scary now, a world without him meant a world of isolation.

"Kill him." She nodded, making him raise his eyebrows for a moment. "Kill him, and he'll no longer loom over us. Kill him and we can be in a world that we design, that isn't rooted in fear and destruction." Mattheo smiled wide before leaning down a pressing his lips onto hers, a moment of pure love and bliss amongst the horrific scenery. She thought he was nervous from the way his lips quivered, but little did she know how much excitement her words had brought him, how much he hoped she meant them. As they gathered outside Flora immediately threw her head into Mattheo's chest, his hands landing on her head to ensure she didn't peak as he saw the limp body in Hagrid's hands. Florence heard Hermione scream next to her, a noise she'd never forget as the girl's heart crumbled inside her chest. Sobs erupted, and she felt Mattheo loosen around her as his arm went to grab someone else. Mattheo pulled Malfoy into him.