Chapter 28

July 2003

"You can't avoid me forever, kid. There's work to be done." She sighed, thinking how ridiculous she probably looked lying like a starfish on the grass, like a sulking child. "Florence, the people will grow restless. You need-"

"You know why I'm angry." She growled as she stared up at the cloudy sky. Mattheo sighed as he looked down over her. She felt the sunlight hit her skin once again as he lowered himself next to her.

"Florence, you can't really blame me, can you? You're the one who threatened me, remember? You made it like this. I had to take that trunk away from you, your access to all that knowledge was going to be a risk for everyone." He shook his head, his eyes dropping from her towards the sea. "We could have been perfect." He whispered. Florence slowly sat up, crossing her legs.

"We never could have been perfect, Mattheo." She sighed, her eyes following his and focusing on the storm growing over the choppy water in the distance. "As soon as you used me for your agenda you ruined any chance we ever had." Mattheo slowly turned to look at her, his hands aching to run through her messy bed-hair.

"Remember what I taught you? Life is unpredictable, so take opportunities when they arise and prepare for all outcomes. You were unprecedented Flora, and no matter how much damage control I conducted you always took a route I didn't foresee." He slowly rested his head in his hands, exhaustion lining his voice. "You never loved me the way I love you." He spoke so quietly she could have missed it, but the eery silence of the garden made his words ring loudly in her head. She looked over at him, all slumped over in his hands. She couldn't understand why her heart was aching, why her arms longed to wrap around that wide back and comfort him.

"What on earth are you talking about?" She placed her hands on his face and lifted his eyes to look at her. "I'm the one who stuck by you after you consistently let me down. The only time I hurt you was when I left, and I know deep down you understand why I did. You hurt me time and time again, Mattheo."

"Have you really never considered it from my perspective? I risked everything for you. My father wanted me to look for someone with your skills and knowledge, and I ended up leaving his ranks for you. I've obsessed over you for six years. I did everything I could to make myself the person you wanted me to be. I married you to prove my commitment, and you repaid me by running. I may have brought you a few miseries, but you've destroyed my soul." He slowly rose to his feet and without turning back headed towards the cliff-edge.

"I know Florence Lake." She looked up to see his large frame silhouetted by the oncoming storm. "I know she's still in there, behind all your hate and blame. I know that she agrees with me, with my cause. But I'm tired of waiting for her. I'm tired of this revengeful person you've become. So you're out of time, little mouse. You're going to help me grow this revolution and overrule the ministry whether you want to or not." She watched as he brought his extended arms up through the air slowly, his veins showing through his white shirt. The storm ahead grumbled as the dark clouds began rolling towards them. She was impressed. He'd surprised her yet again, and once again she'd have to add more possible outcomes to her plan.

"Ok." She stated calmly. Mattheo slowly turned around to find her standing behind him, the wind from the oncoming storm making her dress cling to her curves, her hair as unruly as the night of the Summer solstice.

"Ok?" He whispered. She slowly stepped towards him, her palm gently landing on his cheek.

"Ok." She lifted her other hand above her head, calling sunlight to break through the grey of the storm, looking like cracks in clay. The pair stared at each other, and just as Mattheo was about to lower his hands he felt Florence's palm leave his face and wrap around his wrist.

"Show me." She whispered up to him as a dagger of sunlight lit up her face. They both began calling all the power they could from within them, causing a rainbow of growing and smashing waves as both hurricane and sun filled the sky. It felt almost orgasmic, as if they were both finally letting a seed grow inside of them, a seed that had been planted ever since they'd met but only now was getting it's time. Florence couldn't look away from him, framed in chaos and glory. Amongst the glorious disaster he didn't notice the single bolt of lightening spring from her index finger, and he didn't notice the note it carried as it broke through his erupting clouds out into the wide world she hadn't forgotten. Her heart broke knowing what this would lead to, as he hadn't been wrong. That Florence was still there, somewhere inside of her, and she did still love him. But he'd also been right in how revengeful she had become, how much loneliness can wear down even the brightest of souls. What he'd forgotten was how much she'd always yearned to be accepted, to be wanted by those who the world perceived as 'the good'. As they allowed to storm to calm, he smiled a smile she couldn't return.

-

August 11th 2003

She walked into a roaring sea, a mixture of dried and fresh blood dying the grey waters a murky brown as she slowly waded further and further. The screaming rung in her ears despite the deep rumbles of the water. She could hear him crying out for her, her name in his blood-curdling bellow dancing though her ears. She couldn't look back now. What was done was done. She'd seen what she'd seen. She'd learned what she had to learn. She dove down.