Chapter 14

June 2003

"That's when you started running." Harry huffed.

"Can you really blame me?" Florence shook her head, looking down at her shaky fingers.

"No, not really. Especially as we all left for Summer right after." Harry stared at her, unsure whether he should ask the question niggling his mind. Florence looked up at him, exhausted from the process, from the incredible pain that comes with regret.

"Did you... you really didn't know?" Harry asked quietly.

"I really didn't know, Harry." Florence's stare hardened. "I didn't understand at the time, I couldn't think why he'd done it, why he'd used me. I went back home for the holidays, but I kept track of you guys, remember? I sent you all the information I could, not just on him but I looked everywhere for an R.A.B. to help you with the locket."

"I remember." Harry nodded, his eyes softening for a moment. "That's why we forgave you, eventually." Florence gave a weak smile, a tired attempt at a thank you. "So, you didn't see him during the Summer?" 

"I genuinely believed at that point he'd used me and that was it. I never expected to see him, and I didn't for a month, but then he was just suddenly there, crashing into my life again."

---

July 1997

Florence entered the room, her hands fidgeting aggressively behind her back. Bill immediately approached her, leaning down to embrace her before Fred and George bounded over, both scooping her up.

"Been a while little Lake!" Fred grinned.

"Be honest, how much have you missed us?" George chimed in, both swinging her back and forth.

"That's enough, there'll be plenty of time for that once we're done." Mad-Eye Moody huffed, walking to the front next to Harry. As the twins slowly placed Florence onto the floor her eyes darted between her three friends.

"Harry-" Florence stepped forward, whispering his name, but suddenly Hermione bounded from the side and grabbed her. Her thin arms squeezed around Florence, making her heart leap as she hugged her back.

"'Mione-"

"You're here. That's all that matters to me. You're here for him now." She whispered.

"Thank you." She smiled, and she'd never meant those two words more. Florence looked over Hermione's shoulder at Ron, but as soon as their eyes met he turned to look at Harry. Hermione noticed, and grabbed her hand in an attempt to lessen the sting. Before Florence had the chance to speak to Harry, Moody began to talk. Soon the allocated people began taking the polyjuice potion, and Florence stepped back to allow their transformation placing herself in the corner.

"Now's not the time to cower away, I'm afraid." Florence looked up to meet Lupin's hazel eyes, making her smile.

"You're probably right, Professor." She nodded, turning back where her eyes tried to find the real Harry as they all changed their clothes.

"You're in a dangerous seat tonight, Florence." She looked back up at the concerned man.

"I know, but I-"

"All I'm saying is, we all make mistakes. I could tell you some rather serious ones concerning the older generation in this room." He smiled down at her, but her stomach twisted. "Don't do this because of guilt, kid. All of you are already braver than any adults I've ever met, but you're only going to be a detriment to the mission if you're solely here to prove something." Florence admired the man, the warm way his hushed words met her ears.