Thirty Six

Thomas Jefferson's first act as President was to change the law that said the person who came in second in the election didn't automatically become the Vice President. James got to be Vice President instead of Aaron.

Aaron did not take it well. His eye got all twitchy like he wanted to give Thomas a death glare, but his face never moved. And his hand got all twitchy like he wanted to punch Thomas, but his hand never formed a fist.

That probably wasn't healthy.

Then again, he'd probably lived all of his life like that, so he'd probably be fine. Probably.

Thomas Jefferson's second act as President was to come to our house and start demanding things. Lafayette only allowed this because he brought us expensive wine. I only allowed this because he gave me mac and cheese.

"Georges! Tamara! Elise!" The pom pom shouted, twirling his cane around the living room with a victorious grin.

Georges and Tamara came down the stairs and Elise walked around the corner munching on a cookie.

"You won, right?" Tamara asked.

Georges scoffed with a smile. "Of course he did. Do you really think Uncle Thomas lost?"

Elise walked over to James and handed him a cookie. "So. How embarrassing was the victory dance?"

My friend shrugged. "Not as bad as we thought."

Thomas pouted and ruffled Elise's curls. "You're just mad you didn't get to be President. And that's why your brother is my Secretary of War instead of you!"

Everyone went silent. I choked on my spit. My eyes went wide and darted between Lafayette, Georges and Thomas. Lafayette looked betrayed, Georges was in shock, and Thomas still had that smug grin on his face.

I know he didn't just replace my husband with my son. I know that. Thomas wouldn't do that. Because he knew he would die if he did.

I calmly stood up from my place on the couch and set my mac and cheese to the side. Gracefully, I made my way over to the new President. My hand rested on my chest, fingers itching to grab the boob knife should the need arise.

"You. Did. What?" I demanded.

Thomas' smirk only grew wider. He pat my head like a child and deftly moved me out of the way. "You heard me, Y/N. Georges is my Secretary of War."

All eyes went to Georges, the girls giving him death glares.

"I did not agree to this!" he sputtered.

Thomas chuckled and slapped him on the back. "Sure you did! The other day we discussed giving you a position in my Cabinet!"

"Oui, mais pas la position de mon père! (Yes, but not my father's position!)"

The poor baby was panicking and all Thomas could do was laugh. That was enough. The thought of stabbing him briefly crossed my mind, but no. He could heal from a stab wound too easily. It would be much harder to regrow his afro.

I reached up and grabbed a fistful, the light bouncing off the boob knife. "You have exactly three seconds to fix this," I hissed.

Thomas panicked and grabbed my wrist. "WAIT WAIT WAIT! YOU DIDN'T LET ME FINISH! LAFAYETTE IS MY SECRETARY OF STATE!"

Everyone froze. Again.

I really had no words. The things Thomas does sometimes causes everyone in the room to lose braincells. James was the only one who had built up a strong enough resistance.