Eighteen

The march to Virginia was interesting, to say the least.

Because he was a general, Lafayette got to ride a horse. Because I was his fiancée, I got to ride with him. Because Theodosia was pregnant, Alex made her ride his horse. Because most of us are friends, we all marched together. And because Lafayette and Theodosia hate each other, Aaron and I were expecting this to end badly.

But it didn't.

Lafayette and Theodosia weren't at each other's throats the whole time, and they even said polite goodbyes when she left. I'm pretty sure this was only because he didn't want to antagonize a pregnant woman. But that did nothing to stop Laf from celebrating the minute she was gone. He did manage to tone it down a bit though, only because Aaron was right there.

Naturally, something had to happen to ruin the streak of good things. Lafayette and his men, including Aaron, had to break off from the main group to shadow the British and get in position. The only problem with this is that nobody told me until it was about to happen. Dad made the plans and I couldn't smack him, so I slapped Lafayette twice to make up for it.

"Alright, Y/N," Alex said. "Lafayette has put me in charge of your safety, so please don't do anything stupid."

I glanced up at him and gave a mischievous grin. "I could do that. Or I could do something completely stupid and blame you."

He scoffed. "You didn't let me finish. I'm pretty sure both of us are already planning on doing something stupid. But if we do it together it should cancel out."

"That...is not how this works."

"Listen, I went to college. This is definitely how this works."

I gave him a smug look. "But did you finish college?"

He reached down to smack me upside the head. "At least I went unlike you. And I learned about math and stuff, and two negatives make a positive. I think it's PEMDAS or something."

"Have you ever heard the phrase 'two wrongs don't make a right?'" I said.

"Yes, and that's why we're talking about math, not philosophy. Keep up. And since when do you not want to do something stupid?"

I shrugged. "I can't explain it, but I don't think I have to this time. I feel like something big is going to happen and I don't want to risk messing it up."

Alex hummed in thought. "And what if that 'something' is a British victory?"

"I have a good feeling about this, though. We're gonna win this war, Alex," I told him with a confident smile. "We have to."

It took him a minute, but Alex smiled back. "I think you're right. But if you're not, I will smite you."

"Will there be flames?"

"Yes."

"Deal."

After we set up camp, Alexander actually thought it was a good idea to let me in on the plan ahead of time. Incase his plan was too stupid or not stupid enough, he said. But I thought it was brilliant.

"So," I said. "We're taking the bullets out so idiots don't give away our position?"

Alex nodded.

"Does that mean I get to stab them?"

He sighed. "No, we'll put the bullets back when we're about to fight."

"Okay fine. And we're moving at night because navy blue blends in the dark better than red?"

He blinked. "...Yes. Yes, that's totally the reason."