One

I was at my best friend James Madison's house, and I was bored. Normally I would bother him or my other friend Thomas Jefferson, but he's off in France on "Important Ambassador Business." Ugh. James was being boring writing essays, but I least I got to help with this part when he let me.

"Jaaaaames. I'm bored." Yes, this is helping. Comedic relief is very important.

He coughed twice before answering. "What do you want me to do about it, Y/N? I have to finish looking over these papers and you're distracting me."

I glared lazily at him from half lidded eyes. I was sprawled across the desk in his study, ignoring the chair he had set out for me.

"My dear Jemmy, I know my beauty can be very distracting, but I can still help you with those papers. But since you won't let me, I've resorted to this."

James sighed and put his head in his hands. "You know I want to let you help, but if I do that you'll end up cussing out all of Congress. And will you please sit in the chair? It's unladylike, and I know your mother taught you better than that."

A small smile tugged at my lips as I sat up and smoothed out my dress. "My mother isn't here right now, and we both know you won't tell her. And I will not cuss out all of Congress. Just the ones that refuse to free the slaves and help the army. Besides, we can frame Thomas if anything goes wrong."

James picked his head up and gave me a deadpan stare. "Even if Congress believes that poorly constructed lie, your father won't. And he'll figure out I helped you."

I sighed. People are always so cautious around me because of my father. Apparently, he's pretty intimidating. But I'm not gonna lie, mentioning that my father is George Washington has gotten me out of some difficult situations. I may or may not have abused that power on occasion.

"First of all James, he's not scary. Second of all, even if he does figure out you helped me disrespect Congress, he won't do anything to you."

"Literally all of the Colonies are terrified of your father. Your opinion doesn't count. And he will find out and try to kill me."

I snickered at his indignant expression. As fun as it is to mess with him, he has a point. That's part of what makes dad a great leader. Unfortunately, that means he's needed at war.

I supported his decision, but that doesn't stop me from worrying. Every day I dreaded getting the letter that said George Washington was killed in battle. Of course, I had my own plan to make sure that didn't happen.

Joining the war! But I never actually made it that far because of the patriarchy and my only child status. Apparently, carrying on the Washington legacy rests on my shoulders and those of my rich, future husband.

"Not if I join the war and stop him," I said.

James laughed. "Have fun with that. Don't come crying to me when it ends up like your last attempts."

"One of them was your fault!" I exclaimed.

"Once again, trying to stay in His Excellency's good graces."

"Snitches get stitches, Madison. Watch yourself."

But he's right, I am bad at running away. Once, my mother caught me, another time it was James. I was grounded both times. The third time, Thomas caught me on his way to say goodbye before leaving for France. The fourth time I almost made it, but my period came and I bled through my pants. No amount of excuses could get me out of that one.

I had even written to my father asking him to let me join. I asked to be a soldier, he said no. I asked to be a spy, he said no. I asked to be a nurse, he said no. I asked to be at his right hand helping out with strategies and such, he said no. Just for fun, I even asked to be a general.