Prologue

Don't ship the real people, just their online persona

Warning, this will contain some strong language, blood, and probably gore

There will also be sensitive topics included such as abuse, rape, and other mentions

Other than the MCYT names, the victims/target's names are randomized

-----

-Techno POV-

Techno sat in his office as he sipped his coffee. It was currently 4 am and he still had work to finish. Granted, every time he did get work done, he assigned more work for himself. His coworkers tended to call him a workaholic but he'd rather go with the term "dedicated." He signed off on some paperwork over a recent small case when a folder was dropped onto his desk. Looking up, he saw his boss, Philza, wearing the same tired expression as he did.

"I have a major case that I need you to get onto immediately. You're one of my best detectives and officers, so I have no doubt that you'll solve it. Wilbur will also be working with you on this case. Take a quick look but also, please get some rest. I can't have one of my best passing out or getting sick now" Phil said with his usual happiness slightly lacking.

"Of course. You should also get some rest as well" Techno responded as he opened the file to look through it. With that, he heard Phil let out a chuckle before heading out of the room. The files contained information about a crime scene. Reading through the notes and quickly scanning the photos, he determined that a murder had occured just this past day. One gun shot through the head allowed for a clean, quick, death. What interested Techno the most was the random smiley face drawn on the wall with what appeared to be chalk. Whether that was a taunt, a secret message, or a signature, Techno wasn't quite sure. This death was fairly new and he had a lot of missing pieces.

2 months later

Lights blaring and going above the speed limit, Wilbur sped through traffic. Techno sat in the passenger seat as Wilbur cursed out people who didn't turn off onto the shoulder of the road. They had gotten a call about another death with a smiley face left upon the crime scene. They both wanted to get there as soon as possible to try to catch any evidence that'll soon be destroyed by natural elements.

Arriving at the scene, Wilbur slowed down as he neared the yellow police tape. He showed the officer his badge and they continued on into the scene. Wilbur put the car in park and they both exited the vehicle. They were in a more remote part of town, standing in front of an alley. Wilbur went to go talk to another officer as Techno started to look around. Techno sighed as he took in the scene. Wilbur soon returned from talking to another officer.

"The victim's name is Daniel Coke, male, 35, and worked as a bank associate" he stated, "It's the 3rd victim this week"

Techno simply nodded to Wilbur's words as he evaluated the scene. He approached the body and crouched down to examine it. The victim was wearing a suit, so he assumed that he had just gotten off work. Blood was splattered nearly everywhere, which was to be expected. Looking at the surroundings, the body laid limp against the trash can within a pretty concealed alley. When his gaze returned to the body, the amount of discoloration in his face made him believe that they had been killed at least around 10 hours ago. He also made this deduction when he slipped a latex glove on and placed his hand upon the victim. Tipping the limp head up, Techno also determined that the cause of death was a slit to the throat, right across the carotid arteries. The wound wasn't a clean cut, rather, it seemed to have been done with the intent to cause pain. Letting the head drop back down, Techno's gaze returned to the surrounding area. The alleyway was also in disarray and a fight seemed to have occurred. This crime scene's appearance seemed slightly different than the previous one, kinda as if it wasn't exactly the same person. There was the same image plastered upon the wall as the other scenes though. A large smiley face was drawn across the brick wall lining the alley way. Techno sood up and walked up to the drawing, touching it with his gloved hand. Lifting it to his face for further inspection, he determined that it was indeed blood. At this point, Techno was certain that the smiley face was some sort of signature left behind by the killer. He beckoned one of the investigators at the crime scene over.