Chapter 2: New Situations

-Techno POV-

They pulled up to Sweet Treats, which was run by one of Wilbur's acquaintances Niki. Techno and Wilbur exited the vehicle and approached the building. The bell above the door rang as they entered the café. They saw Niki rush out of the back, seeming exhausted. Techno did notice that the place was fairly empty so he didn't quite understand why she was rushing around.

"Hey guys! What can I do for you?" Niki greets as she stops before them.

"Hey Niki, we just had some questions that we were wondering if you could answer" Wilbur asked as Techno continued to look around the café.

"Of course," she started before being interrupted by a ringing that could be heard from the kitchen, "Excuse me for a second"

As Niki hurried into the kitchen, Techno turned back towards Wilbur.

"Wil, why is she acting as though she just ran a marathon if the café is currently not that busy?"

Wilbur simply shrugged in response. Before he could say anything, Niki returned, wiping her hands on a towel. She tossed the towel to the side before beckoning the two detectives over to the counter seats.

"Alright. What can I help you guys with?" Niki asked when they both sat down. Wilbur pulled out a photo of Daniel Coke and showed it to Niki. Both detectives looked for any signs of recognition but none were given.

"This was our latest victim, found dead this morning. Did he happen to stop by the café yesterday by any chance" Wilbur asked Niki who only furrowed her brows, seeming deep in thought.

"Not that I know of. I'm sorry I couldn't help you boys" Niki stated as she glanced at the clock mounted on the nearby wall.

"His recent credit card statement says that he had recently visited here" Techno said as he stared at Niki who seemed to slightly panic under his intense gaze.

"I don't know what you want me to say. I wouldn't be surprised if he did show up. With so many people coming in and out. It's hard to remember everyone's faces" Niki admitted with a slight shrug. "All I can say is that he didn't cause any trouble to be remembered"

Techno was satisfied with that answer as a group of people entered the café.

"It was lovely talking to you guys. I gotta take this" Niki said, bidding her farewell before heading to help the group get their order. Wilbur and Techno stood up and headed out the door, waving at Niki as they exited. They both got back into the car and sat there for a couple of seconds.

"Wanna come check out some of the local bars with me?" Wilbur asked but before Techno could respond, his phone rang. He checks it and sees that the caller was Philza.

"Techno, mate. Are you busy right now?" Phil asked when Techno picked up.

"Uhhm, was just about to investigate a couple of local bars with Wil" Techno responded.

"Aight mate. I have an important task I need your help with when you get back" Phil stated before another voice started to yell in the background. Phil hangs up half-way through the yelling leaving a very confused Techno.

"I think I might head back to the station. It sounds like they need help" Techno said as Wilbur started the car.

"If I knew any better, I'd say that the yelling is from a small gremlin child of sorts" Wilbur jokes, which caused Techno to chuckle.

"I wouldn't be surprised," Techno said as he gazed up to the rooftops of the passing buildings. For a second, he thought that he saw a figure but before he could really confirm, it was gone just as quickly as it had appeared.

They eventually arrived back at the station where Wilbur dropped Techno off. He went directly to Philza's office and gave a couple brisk knocks before a young blond opened the door.

"Ayyy! The Blade is here!" He cheered as he opened the door, letting him in.

"Hey Techno. Welcome back," Philza said, seeming exhausted by the young child's chaotic energy. "This is Tommy, a new trainee. Could you show him some of the ropes around here? He's the governor's son and his father demanded that we have our best officer train him"

Techno only nodded as Philza gave a smile of relief.

"C'mon child" Techno said as he left the room with a child in tow, who was complaining about not being a child. As if the case wasn't difficult enough, now he had a trainee to take care of.

-Dream POV-

Dream decided that Dawn Frost was to be their next target. He felt a particular need to save the kid from his mother's abuse. While they could have more than one target at a time, if they had too many at once, a slip-up was more likely to occur. A couple of knocks at his door caused Dream to slightly jump.

"Come in" he instructed as the door opened to reveal George, "what's up?"

"Antfrost went out disguised as an officer to check on Mrs. Coke. She says that the detective already questioned her about the abuse. I think that crush of yours is figuring out our targets" George said, concerned.

"Shit. Ok. First of all, he's not my crush. Second of all, let's see how much more he figures out on his own but be prepared to intervene on my command"

"Understood, I'll let the other's know," George said with a slight bow before exiting the room.

Dream sighed as he gazed up at the ceiling. He let himself relax and soon found himself dreaming of running his fingers through the pinkette's long silky hair; being able to hug him and hold him close. He jolted up as he realized what he was imagining. Groaning, he stuffed his face into his hands wondering what was happening to him.