Chapter 5: Note

-Techno POV-

Techno slowly awoke to the sound of his phone ringing. He failed to fully process the fact that it was even ringing as he picked it up to throw it across the room. Before he threw it, it finally processed and he looked at the caller ID, squinting against the bright light. He saw that it read "Wilbur" before he picked up.

"Hmm? What's up?" Techno asked, his voice quite raspy.

"Hey! Sorry if I woke you up" Wilbur started, before getting cut off by yelling in the background. He could be heard turning away from the phone before yelling, "Shut Up Child!"

"Wilbur" Techno stated, redirecting Wilbur's attention back to himself.

"Oh, Right. Just wanted to let you know that I won't be in tomorrow. I should be back the following day" Wilbur responded, "I already told Phil and got the okay from him."

"Aight, noted" Techno responded, holding the phone up to his ear with his shoulder as he slipped on his boots. Finally getting his boots on, after a little struggle, he got his phone back into his hands, "Sorry I didn't get back to the station, kinda fell asleep"

"Hey, no worries. It's good that you finally got some sleep" Wilbur responded as Techno grabbed his gun off the bedside table and returned it to his holster before walking out of his bedroom.

"I gotta go take care of something. I'll see you when I see you" Techno said, leaving his house and locking it behind him. After bidding their farewells, they ended the call and Techno got into his car. Before he could look at the note in his pocket, he received a call from his close friend Squid. Squid worked as an officer in a different county station but they went to the police academy together. It was around 8 pm at this time and the sun was starting to set. Techno picked up the call as he started his car.

"Techno!" Squid greeted, his usual happy persona present.

"Hey Squid" Techno responded, slightly relaxing as he heard his friend's voice.

"Are you busy right now? I'm in town and wanted to know if you had time to catch up" Squid replied.

Techno put his hand into the pocket and felt the note, before sighing, "Yeah, I'm free right now if you wanna meet up"

He decided that he should investigate the note at a later time when less people are out and about. They decided to meet up at Sweet Treats in 5 minutes.

-----

"Techno!" Squid called Techno over to a booth.

"Hullo" Techno greeted as he sat down.

"So I heard that you've been assigned to a big case" Squid said as he leaned back into his chair.

"You could say that, this one actually has me kinda stumped," Techno replied, once again thinking about the random note.

"Oh wow, that's new. The almighty Techno is stumped" Squid grinned, earning a glare from Techno.

"Bruh, I'm still making a lot of progress" Techno retorted, "It's just taking a lot longer than I first intended it to"

"Huh, your sleep schedule still messed up?" Squid asked as Niki brought over two milkshakes with a smile. Squid and Techno thanked her as she left.

"Oh of course" Techno scoffed, "But I still try to wake up around 8 or 9ish"

"Wow, am or pm?"

"Am, sometimes pm"

"Why so early? You got a girl or someone?" Squid asked as he leaned forward onto his arm.

"Usually, no I'm very alone" Techno responded, causing Squid to burst out laughing. "Usually my sleep schedule gets destroyed and this case is making it worse, I have to like actually... Stop laughing at my loneliness!"

Squid started to laugh even harder causing curious glances from other customers as Techno continued "Society forces me to have a functioning sleep schedule. It's terrible!"

"Why am I not surprised" Squid grinned, "still as lonely as ever and extremely invested in your work"

"Oh absolutely" Techno replied, taking a sip of his milkshake.

The two proceeded to chat for a while when Techno got a call.

"Hey Ludwig, what's new?" Techno inquired as he picked up the call. Squid gave him a confused look in which Techno responded by holding a finger up to signal him to wait.

"Uhh... Well there's been another victim. Dawn Frost, 35 old female. It also appears that her son Ranboo, 17 year old male, is missing. Same signature, same mafia" Ludwig reported as Techno hummed in response.

"Thanks Ludwig, let me know if there's anything else that stands out" Techno responded before hanging up.

"Everything alright?" Squid asked.

"Yeah, I just don't understand why they would take the kid with them"

"They took a kid?!" Squid exclaimed. Techno hummed in response.

-----

It was around 10 pm when they parted ways and Techno decided to investigate the note. He decided to drop his car off at the station because the walk was close enough. Following the directions upon the note, Techno made it to an alleyway.

[Next bit is basically the same as the first part of the oneshot, just slightly reworded]

Techno stared down a dark alleyway. He knew that he had to do this alone because he didn't want to put Wilbur and the others in this kind of danger. Taking a deep breath, he entered the dark alley. He walked for a couple of minutes, light emitting from his flashlight and the moon. From the corner of his eye, he saw a shadow run by. He whipped his flashlight in that direction but failed to see anyone. Another shadow came up behind him and he managed to turn around fast enough to get a glimpse of them before they disappeared again. They seemed to have blonde hair and a white hoodie. They returned again to attack but when he went to dodge the attack, another person seemed to show up with a heavy blunt object and strike him on the back of his head. Techno felt himself collapse in pain as his head started to pound. His vision started to blur while warm blood trailed down the back of his neck. He heard voices of his attackers murmur to each other before one started to pat him down. They took his gun and found his badge causing them to momentarily go silent. He eventually felt himself succumb to the dark abyss and lost consciousness.