Chapter 2

I find my seat with no problem and check the time. It's 8:25.  "Nice, I'm still early."

I distract myself with my thoughts, recalling the latest episode of Gintama that aired two days ago on TV and fangirling a bit. Then from the corner of my eye I catch a glimpse of a figure taking a seat next to me. I glance over to get a better look and am startled by just how tall the newcomer is.

"He's gotta be almost 6 ft. Is he here on a sports scholarship? Maybe he plays basketball or volleyball."

I shift in my seat a bit, preparing to introduce myself. "Ohayo! My name is Shimizu Y/N, but you can call me by my first name. What's your name?" I try to say cheerfully without being intimidated by his stature.

"Ohayo, I'm Goshiki Tsutomu, it's nice to meet you too Y/N-san," he says. In addition to being tall, Goshiki-san has black hair styled in a bowl cut, dark brown eyes, and matching colored eyebrows that thin out to a point at the end. The scowl on his face and his sharp gaze make me feel even more intimidated, and I quickly rack my brain to think of something to say to keep a conversation going.

"So...do you play volleyball? You seem like you would be good at it," I blurt out without a thought. As soon as I say this, a shine glazes over his eyes and an eager expression replaces the natural scowl he has. "Bullseye, I guessed correctly."

"Do you really think so?" he asks enthusiastically.

"Totally. You 100% give off volleyball player vibes," I nod.

Goshiki-san's eyes seem to light up even more and we continue chatting.

"You know, he's actually not that scary..."

Now that I got to talk with him, Goshiki-san actually seems really innocent and approachable, kind of like a giant puppy.

An image of a puppy with Goshiki-san's bowl cut pops into my head, causing me to chuckle, "Hahaha!"

"What are you laughing about–"

Suddenly, the lights dim and a hush falls over the crowd, all eyes now pointing at the spotlight that just appeared on stage. From behind the curtains steps out a woman in a suit, who I recognize as the school's principal. She gives a welcome speech. Then some important members of the Board of Education, school officials, and teachers give speeches about how the future looks bright and encourage us to work how in the next three years. Some senpais give a few short performances and then we're dismissed to our homerooms.

From sitting next to him, I can tell Goshiki-san is tall. But when we stand up to stretch, I finally grasp just how big the height difference was.

"I don't know how much longer I could have sat still. We're in a gym yet I couldn't spike any volleyballs," complains Goshiki-san.

"Well not all of us have the same energy as a puppy like you," I tease, getting over the shock of his full height.

"I- What- I am not like a puppy. Unless you're talking about one of those really cool big dogs," says Goshiki-san huffs.

"Suuuure, that's definitely what I meant," I say sarcastically as he pouts more. "Yup, definitely a puppy. Maybe a chihuahua."

We shuffle out of the gym and drop our luggage off at the entrance of the dorms.

A/N: Idrk how the dorms at Shiratorizawa work, but I'm assuming the males and females are in separate buildings, and each floor is a different year with 3rd years being on the bottom floor.

Then we head towards the classrooms and change into our school slippers in the locker area on the first floor. I stumble a bit when I try to take my shoes off, but Goshiki-san catches me with his left arm.