Chapter 3

Lunch ended quickly. Rumi-san and I returned to homeroom after eating with Honoka-san. Those two got along well. Honoka-san took Rumi-san's side and they endlessly teased me about Goshiki-san no matter how much I tried to deny it. But as soon as they tried the food they finally shut up. Seriously, the food was amazing!

Anyways, once we returned, we had our class representative elections and assigned cleaning duties. Afterwards, some senpais came in to show us around Shiratorizawa's insanely large campus.

* * *

"Ahh finally the school day is over," Honoka-san groans. She met up with Rumi-san and I at our classroom as soon as school ended. We bumped into Goshiki-san on our way out, and he decided to join us.

"It's finally time for clubs, I can't for volleyball practice. Watch out cause here I come, the new ace!" Goshiki-san exclaims as he puffs out his chest. The others just giggle at his confidence. "What clubs are you guys joining?" he asks.

"Tennis," says Honoka-san.

"Swim," answers Rumi-san.

Then everyone turns towards me.

"Well, umm, you see, I don't really know... Honoka-san! What club is Mamiko-san in?" I say, changing the topic.

"Oh Mamiko-san is in the yearbook and newspaper club. Her parents are news reporters and I think she wants to do something along those lines too," Honoka says.

"Oh that's cool! I would never be able to do that, my voice probably sounds like a dying bird," I joke.

"What? No! You have a great voice!" Goshiki-san says immediately.

I blush for the hundredth time today, but Goshiki-san seems perfectly fine, not realizing the implications of what he had said.

"God just how dense is he, it's kinda cut- WIAT DON'T FINISH THAT THOUGHT!"

I turn even redder, but luckily no one noticed.

"Why don't you join the volleyball team as manager! Then I'll see you more often," he suggests.

"His innocence is gonna be the death of me."

"Oh yeah, that's right, didn't you say you were thinking about that since your sister was also a manager?" Honoka-san recalls.

"Really? Then it's decided you're coming with me to volleyball practice!" Goshiki-san says a bit too excitedly.

I give an awkward laugh, and nod. "Then it's decided!"

"Ajsdk what?!! I- huh- who? Why me? he's kinda cute when he gets excited...wait- noooooo auwjksdfjkkas!"

I was barely able to keep my composure the rest of our walk.

* * *

We approach the club area and split up. Rumi-san and Honoka-san head in one direction towards the tennis courts and pool, while Goshiki-san and I head in the other direction. The sound of shoes squeaking and volleyballs slamming into the floor grows louder and louder.

As soon as I round the corner of the gym and walk in front of the entrance, I spot an incoming rogue volleyball coming right at my face.

"Crap...!"

I reflexively squeeze my eyes shut and put my hands up in a pathetic attempt to block the ball.

But instead of impact, I hear someone say, "Are you okay?"

I crack an eye open and glance in the direction of the voice. I see someone only slightly taller than me standing in the entrance with the ball in his hand. He had tan-colored hair and bangs parted unevenly into two sides.