4. I write music.

Tommy woke up warm and comfortable. It had been a long time since he had slept this well. The bed he was given was soft and covered in warm blankets. Even with the cold wind whipping against the windows, he was still cozy.

He was more than a little embarrassed when the small cow plushie fell onto the floor. When his thoughts had gotten then best of him the night before, the plush was nice to hold close and try to ignore them.

He sat up and rubbed the sleep out of his eyes.

The room was stall dark, thanks to the dark curtains. He could see the clock on his desk shining the time at him; 7:30.

He didn't hear anyone awake yet, which he supposed was a good thing.

He stood and was met with the cold room, so he pulled the soft blanket back around his shoulders, heading out of the room.

He walked slowly and quietly down the stairs. He didn't want to wake anyone. He wasn't sure what they'd be like on the morning.

He walked into the kitchen and opened the cabinets. Phil had said that he was allowed to eat whatever he wanted, so he was going to take advantage before he changed that rule.

He pulled out a box of PopTarts and pulled one out, stripping the pastry of the silver wrapping. He stuck them into the toaster and pushed down the button, heating up his breakfast.

Before too long the toaster beeped and bounced his poptarts into the air. He pulled them out of the toaster and onto a plate, taking a bite of one. He walked the plate over to the table and sat with it, eating slowly.

It was quiet and still in the house. There was no movement, other than Tommy himself. He just assumed everyone was still asleep.

Then, behind him, he heard rustling.

"Oh, good morning, Tommy." He heard as the door opened. Wilbur stepped in, hair dusted with snow. He stripped off a dark brown winter jacket and shook his hair out, sliding his boots off.

"Morning." He responded, watching him as he hung up the coat and set his boots to the side.

"What are you doing up so early?" Wilbur asked, walking over to start a pot of coffee.

Tommy shrugged and followed him with his eyes. "Just woke up." He said. "What about you?"

"Sunrises are the perfect time for inspiration." He said, fixing himself a cup. "I write music." He explained, turning as the coffee began to brew. "I like to think when it's quiet and pretty outside."

"It sounds nice."

"If you ever want to come with me, you're welcome to." He offered.

"Maybe..." Tommy looked back down to his pop tart and finished it, standing up to wash the plate. Wilbur watched him as he set the plate in the sink, rinsing the crumbs off of it. He looked around for the dishwashing soap, but couldn't find it.

"Where's the soap?" Tommy asked, looking at Wilbur.

"Oh, bud, you don't have to wash it. Just put it in the dishwasher." Wilbur said, pulling open the machine. He gently set the plate inside and shut it again. "Like that. And then when it gets full we just put in some washing tablets and then start it."

"Oh... cool." Tommy started back towards the stairs. Wilbur watched him until he got to the stairs, then turned and poured himself a mug of coffee.

~•~

By the time Tommy had gotten dressed, everyone else was also awake.

He could hear them, making conversation and moving around downstairs. As much as he wanted to head down with them, he didn't want to intrude on their family time. So he stayed in his room.

He sat down at the desk and flipped open the notebook that was sitting there. There was already writing on the front page.

Dear Tommy,

Hi, this is Phil. You are coming to live with us tomorrow, and I couldn't be more excited to meet you. You seem like a wonderful young boy.
Please know that you are welcome to do anything with the twins and I. We would love to have you participate in any of our normal activities, but also don't feel pressured.
Do whatever you feel most comfortable with.
This notebook is for you to write down anything you need. It's private, no one will ever see what's in here, so you can do whatever you want with it.

Much love,
Phil

Tommy smiled at the letter and stood up, and walked down to join the family.

~•~

I'm back! Hey hi hello!!

How is everyone?

Thank you all for reading and I hope you enjoyed!