Seventeen

all my troubles on a burning pile
all lit up and i start to smile
if i, catch fire then I'll change my aim
throw my troubles at the world again

*****

Revenge was sour, you had to have a certain taste to enjoy it

Revenge was sour, you had to have a certain taste to enjoy it. Otherwise you'd wish you've never tasted it in the first place, leaving you regretful and a little bit guilty.

I loved sour, everything about it. Which must be why revenge came so easy, and why I kept earning for the taste.

"Where's the nearest hotel, or rest stop. I need to sleep." Sam groans from beside me. "So then sleep?" I say in an obvious tone, as if he wasn't sitting comfortably in the passenger seat. "Well since the city is about 40 miles there isn't a hotel for 37 minutes." Vinnie adds on from the back as Sam sighs pulling his hood over his head.

"Why can't we just pull over somewhere." He groans further. "No." I give him a dirty look and we continue in silence. The brush of forests surround us, as the moon cast shadows through the windows. It was quite peaceful, given the circumstances at least.

The road seems to keep going forever, the same patterns of tall trees decorate the side of the road as far as the eye can see. Until a car parked ahead in the distance catches my attention. It was more than unusual.

"See" Sam gestures his hand at the car as we get closer, "that should be us." I keep my eyes on the car as we pass it, nothing seemed to off. Something inside me was screaming, telling me to turn around. I debate with myself for a few minutes until realizing that I trust myself more than anyone so listening seemed to be the best choice.

I grip the wheel tightly and whip the car around in the opposite direction. Earning a loud screech from the van. "Jesus!" Sam yells, siting himself back up after being thrown against the door. "Where are we going?" Vinnie genuinely asks. "I want to check out that car." I say as the car slowly comes back into view.

My empty mind and body is soon awoke by the loud noise of a car

My empty mind and body is soon awoke by the loud noise of a car. Jolting up from the seat my eyes widen at the sight of a black van rushing towards me. With little to no time to think I throw myself into the passenger seat and out the door, making sure to grab my gun with me.

A car that big wasn't suitable for the woods, i at least had a head start. Not knowing who is in that car made me only run faster. I try my best to keep my focus on the ground, one small trip over a branch and I'd be gone.

But I couldn't help but turn my head to see what was going on. The van was now parked, a blur of chaos emerges from the large doors. Headed my way.

"Athena!" A voice booms, echoing off the trees. I keep running, my legs begging to give up. The voice calls my name out again, giving my legs more encouragement to keep going.

A crunch of leaves sounds off ahead of me, startling me I tumble over my own feet as I turn the opposite way. As I run I get closer and closer to the road again, hoping I'd make it in time to my car.

Another noise comes from my right, closer than the one before. I'm so close, I say to myself as I see the road nearing.

Please.

I beg to whoever could hear my prayers.

Please.

The noise strikes my ears again, and again. Closer each time.

My heart beats so hard I feel it in my finger tips. The car was so close, but the noise was getting closer. All faith and hope is knocked out of me when a strong force attacks me from the side. My feet leave lose contact with the ground, as my gun loses contact with my hand.

My back hits hard, immediately my body is crushed. I look up to see a masked face keeping my body trapped this nightmare.

I pull my arm back and swing it at the dark essence above me. My attempt is failed as they pin both my arms down. Stripping my mobility and my dignity.

Though my arms were no help, my legs had not been taken away. I thrust my hips up with all the power I had left, leaving the essence unbalanced. I take the opportunity to now flip him on his back and leave a strike to his nose.

I scramble to my feet and continue my run to the car, as soon as I get up a hand grips around my ankle pulling me backwards. My hands barley catch my fall as my face slams into the ground.

The worst of the pain comes when I feel a sharp pain in my thigh. A loud scream escapes my lips as I feel the blood seep through my pants

The hand continues to pull me back, I claw my nails in the ground trying to pull myself away. My attempts are defeated. I'm pulled further and further away from the road. The essence pulls me faster now, the stick in my leg embodies itself deeper inside me.

"W ag titim" I mumble with the last amount of strength and I have, the essence towers on top of me again. I watch as it reaches behind them, pulling out what appears to be a gun. Their hand raises up, I prepare myself for the unknown, "gabh chugam nuair a thuirlingim."

Nightfall comes, with a hard strike over my head.