Eighteen

he'll look around the room he won't tell you his plan
he's got a rolled cigarette
hanging out his mouth, he's a cowboy kid

*****

I stand still in an white kitchen, four plain walls surround me

I stand still in an white kitchen, four plain walls surround me. No windows, no doors. A small table, with two chairs sits lonely on the back wall. Across from it sits a sink and counter top, and a fridge to the right. Everything painted a clean cut white.

My eyes catch glimpse of a small hand held mirror on the counter, I hold it gently in my hand and bring it up to my face.

I stare back at myself, my curly blonde hair was tamed back with a braid going around my head. Small white daisies placed within the weaves. I now catch notice of the rest of my attire.

My feet were bare, my body was covered in a loose white sundress. I continue to hold the mirror and examine the face that I forgot once belonged to me.

"Leah Rose." A voice startles me, making me jump the mirror falls from my hand and shatters into a million pieces on the ground.

I turn around abruptly to see the table completely set with a beautifully laid out breakfast. My mother sat in one of the chairs, in almost the same outfit as mine. Her graying hair was replaced by blonde hair so bright and shiny it was almost golden.

"Come, sit please." She gestures her hand at the seat across from her. Hesitantly I sit down, my eyes look back into hers. Instead of her usual droopy bloodshot eyes, blue orbs stared back at me. I haven't seen her like this since I just learned to walk, her face had color, and her skin was vibrant and porcelain like.

She looked happy.

Overwhelmed was an understatement as to how I was feeling right now. I watch as my mother cuts into her pancakes, she takes a bite and looks back up at me and smiles innocently. My lip quivers as a small tear runs down my cheek.

"Please don't cry." She comforts me as she places her hand on my face and whips away my tear. "Eat Leah. I know you're hungry." She smiles again. I give her a small nod and cut into my pancakes. We sit their in silence, I eat till my plate is clean. My mother does the same. "I knew you here hungry."

I give her a small smile, "thank you mama." I speak softly. I watch her as she places her hand on the table, palm up as an offer for mine. I bring my hand up to the table and rest it in her soft hand. Her fingers intertwined with mine. "It's time now."

"What do you mean?" I say confused. "It's time Leah." She repeats. "What?" I ask again. "You need to get up Athena." Her voice now becomes a mear echo. I begin to panic, my breath quickness as my mothers grip on my hand loosens. "Please don't go." I beg in a panic. Her hand slowly evaporates into thin air, the rest of her body following with. "It's time." She says, tears fall down my face as I watch her disappear.