Twenty Three

up with your turret
aren't we just terrified?

The had sun started it's dip gently under the horizon

The had sun started it's dip gently under the horizon. Always making sure I got back before dark. The dried up grass and gravel crunches against my worn up shoes. The closer I get to the front door, the less I hear.

Silence.

A dangerous thing coming from my house. I prayed that no one was home, but I was never that lucky. My heart beats nervously in my chest, I push open the already unlocked door. The creaking fills up the house.

Too scared to speak I decide to do my own investigation. I found nothing new in the living room, kitchen, or my room. I knew there was one last place, my moms room.

A glimpse of hope fills my head, even if my mom was home. She was most likely sleeping. There was no sign of Frank, so that was even better.

The floor creeks softly against my feet, I push the door openly slowly with my fingers. My hope is quickly taken away from me when I see my mom asleep on her bed. I sigh and go to close the door again, until a glimpse of crimson catches out of the corner of my eye.

Blood.

Running over to the bed I get a closer look. The blood leaking from out of her mouth, I touch her skin to wake her. But quickly flinch at how cold she felt. Her words from before I left for school ring in my head.

"im ag titim, breith orm nuair a thuirlingim"
I am falling, catch me when I land.

I stare at my mothers dead lifeless body, anger fills my body quicker than sadness does.

How could I have let this happen?
It's my fault.
I should have been here.
Why didn't I pay attention more?

Hot tears run down my face as I shake my mother harder, attempting to wake her. Her unconscious body shakes as I move her.

"Please!" I hold my hands on her face. "Wake up!" I yell. A loud laugh and the slamming of the door pulls me away from my hysteria.

Frank.

It was him.
He did this.
He killed my mother.
He turned her hair gray, her eyes black.
It was him.

My heart pounds in my chest, without thinking I hop of the bed and reach into the bedside drawer. The heavy metal ways down in my head. I had never held a gun before this.