happier - dwayne robertson

Charlie had broken up with me a few months ago and I was now dating Dwayne. He was a much better boyfriend than Charlie ever was or could be and I love him to the moon and back.
It was time to go back for our sophomore year at Eden Hall, and that meant seeing Charlie. I have no idea if he knows Dwayne and I are dating, and frankly, I don't care. I'm just worried that he'll act out, because he's known to have some anger issues.
I woke up the morning of our first day back and got dressed in a red Eden Hall crewneck and some simple mom jeans paired with my classic high-top converse. I brushed my hair out and straightened it then rushed out the front door, hurrying to meet Dwayne in front of the school so we could walk in together. I got there and he was with his group of hockey friends, and guess who that includes. The one and only Charlie Conway. I stopped, took a deep breath, and continued walking over to Dwayne. I grabbed onto his hand from behind and he turned around to see me and smiled at me. He put his arm around me, pulling me in front of him. "Hey Y/n." "Hey Jules." "Y/n?" I took another deep breath. "Hey Charlie." "You're dating Dwayne now?" "Uh yeah, I am. Is that a problem?" After the tone of voice I used, everyone else besides Dwayne took that as a signal to leave. "We'll I uh... I have another girl now." "Do you tell her she's the most beautiful girl you've ever seen? An eternal love bullsh*t you know you'll never mean." He got defensive after that. "Well just don't be happier." He turned to walk away and I grabbed his arm. "Don't you get it? I was never happy with you. All the times you yelled at me until I cried and the times you threatened to go sleep with Linda because you knew how insecure she made me feel. I was never happy. But now I'm with Dwayne. And he's ten times the man you'll ever be."
I pulled Dwayne away from him and we started walking in school. "Are you okay Y/n?" "I am now that I have you."