Chapter 1: Settling In

Alicia 💜

(Alicia's home)It had been a week since I moved into my new home and to be totally honest, I was damn proud of myself

(Alicia's home)
It had been a week since I moved into my new home and to be totally honest, I was damn proud of myself. Being able to buy my first home before the age of 30, while being single, was a huge blessing come true.

Not to brag or anything but I was the epitome of being a black, independent, Boss Ass Bitch.

I smiled to myself as I unpacked a few items in my new kitchen. Sure, the house needed some upgrades but for a single person, the home was more than enough when it came to its size.

It was a 3 bedroom house with 2 ½ baths that had a pool and sat on a beautiful lake; I could not have asked for more.

Because of my hard work and dedication over the last 5 years since graduating university, I could finally afford my dream home that was situated in a great neighborhood.

When the pandemic hit, lord knows I wanted to quit my job as an ICU nurse on multiple occasions, but with the overtime I'd accrued and my determination, I was now where I wanted to be; in my own home and no one could tell me shit.

The bonus was that Mia, my best friend, lived only minutes away on the opposite end of the community.

What more could I ask for?

Over the past week, I've been slowly settling into my home and meeting my neighbors and so far, everyone has been so welcoming and sweet.

I swear, my neighbors were like characters straight out of a movie where they knocked on the new neighbor's door and welcomed them with food. And just like the movies, several of my neighbors have knocked on my door and introduced themselves while presenting me with gifts.

I was shocked when the Ramsey's came by earlier in the week with a baked chocolate cake. Or when the Thompson's came by yesterday with a meatloaf pie.

Unfortunately, I didn't eat any of it because I can't just eat from just anyone. What if you allow your cats to stand on the kitchen counters while you cook or let your dogs lick the spoon for fun? Hell no, I can't take the chance.

I smiled inwardly to myself at how paranoid I was when it came to cleanliness.

At the end of the day, I appreciated being welcomed so easily into the neighborhood.

This was a neighborhood where everyone knew each other and lived here for decades so it wasn't entirely strange that they would want to meet the newcomer in the community. The fact that I even found a house in this neighborhood was by luck and it was only because the previous owner died and the bank reclaimed the home to resell it.

As I placed a few of my silverware into the dishwasher, I heard the doorbell ring which echoed loudly throughout my empty home. I wasn't expecting anyone, especially not this early, but I assumed it was probably another neighbor.