Chapter 14: Anticipation

A/N: I went back and revised an important detail from Chapter 3. Noah's wife died by suicide. She purposely crashed her car.

Alicia 💜

(The day after the attack)

I was in the McCarthy's guest room when I heard a slight knock on the door. I hoped it wasn't Noah. Last time we had a run in, I swore the tension between us was too much to bare.

"Come in."

At the sound of my voice, the door swung open and Khloe ambled into the room. Instantly, relief flooded through me.

 Instantly, relief flooded through me

"Good morning, Alicia... I just wanted to check in with you after last night. Noah told me you guys got into it after you went for a late night run?"

I gave Khloe an exhausted smile.

"Yeah, your brother can be an ass but I guess it's how he shows he cares. But I've calmed down alot so I'm doing much better. Thanks."

Khloe's face lit up as she gave me a sweet smile.

"You're right about Noah." She shook her head in agreement. "He can be very overbearing...but he does care."

There was a slight pause as she continued and got to the point.

"So, I wanted to let you know, I'm leaving in a couple of days and I'm headed to New York to attend a wedding for one of my college friends..."

Hmmmm...

"...I know that you and Noah have a weird dynamic so I wanted to give you a heads up. Especially because the anniversary of his late wife is coming up and he tends to be a wreck on that day. Sometimes, he's even depressed a few days before."

Wife?

I nearly chocked on my spit just thinking about it.

Noah definitely didn't seem like the marriage type; It made me wonder what kind of woman decided to settle down with him.

I raised a pensive brow.

"...maybe it's not such a good idea that I continue to stay here when your gone then..."

Khloe shook her head.

"Nonsense. We both know you're safer here than at home."

"I could get a hotel..."

"...Or, you could just stay...I promise, you'll be fine."

I eyed Khloe silently for a solid minute before finally exhaling a deep breath.