Chapter Three- Anxiety

Trigger Warning

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chloe scans her nails. Her biting was getting worse. She had to get new nails everyday. Chloe sighs. Why was she biting her nails so much? It was always when she was nervous, which happened more now.

She used to be nervous a lot, but her mom said some shit like 'fabulous people never get nervous.' Now that she thinks about it, her mom said shit like that all the time. 'Fabulous people never cry.' 'Fabulous people never laugh.' 'Fabulous people never breathe.'

Chloe cared a lot about what her mom said. Cared, being the key word. She needs to stop listening to her. What mattered were her friends. 

But what if they still didn't like her? Chloe pinches herself. It was those thoughts again. They were more frequent and Chloe tried as much as possible to ignore them. Why would they be around her if they didn't like her? Her friends weren't like that.

===

Chloe knaws on her nails at the begining of class. Did she study? She could've sworn that she did. Her leg bounces underneath the table, going mostly unnoticed.

"Are you okay? Chloe?" Adrien asks again when Chloe didn't answer the first time.

"Huh? Oh, Adrikins! Yeah, why do you ask?" Chloe takes her hand away from her mouth and balls her hands together, making her leg bounce more. 

"You look really nervous." Adrien notes, concern lashing his eyes.

"Moi? Nervous? You've got the wrong Chloe, Adrikins." 

"Listen, Chloe, I know you. You're not okay right now." Adrien kneels down next to her desk, keeping his voice low.

"I... I don't remember studying." Chloe admits. 

"Okay. Do you want me to go over stuff with you really quick? If you need to, glance over your notes once more before the class starts." Adrien sugests. 

Chloe whispser, "I think I'd be more comfortable with the latter. Thank you." 

Adrien smiles and goes over to his seat. He turns around to a tap on his shoulder. Marinette was leaning over her desk at him.

"Is Chloe okay?" Marinette murmers.

"She's just a little worried because she doesn't remember studying. I told her she could look over her notes or I could quickly go over some stuff with her. She chose going over her notes." Adrien winks at Marinette.

Marinette blushes like crazy when she notices how close their faces are together. "Th-that's color- I MEAN, cool of you!"

===

Chloe stares down at the test hopelessly. She literally just went over some note about this. God, she was going to fail this test. Tears pricked her eyes. No way was she going to cry in front of her classmates like this over a test.

"Mme. Bustier? May I use the restroom?"

"You should've gone when you had time, but yes, go ahead." Mme. Bustier waves to the door.

Chloe rushes out, speed walking to the restroom. She sniffles and wipes her eyes as the wind blows them away a bit. Once in the restroom, she slumps into a stall, letting out small sobs. It almost felt as if she couldn't breathe, but she could tell her chest was rising and falling. Her head began to hurt and her heart was beating in her throat. Look at her, going to a public restroom to cry. She was going to fail. She wouldn't pass this grade. Her friends she just made would hate her again. Sabrina would never help her again. 

Chloe gasps and puts a hand over her mouth when she hears the restroom door open. She tries not to make a sound, not wanting to let the person know she was in here. 

"Chloe?" It called out. Shit, they knew. "It's me, Marinette." 

"The handycap stall." Chloe groggly calls out. The door to her stall opens, showing Marinette.

"Hey, hey." Marinette kneels down in a comforting way. Her hand goes to rub Chloe's back. "What's wrong?"

Chloe has her head in her hands, so she couldn't see Marinette's expression, but she could feel it. "I'm just so scared. I'm so nervous over this one test, and for what? It's just a simple test. It's not like the world will end if I fail it. I'm so dumb and lame." Chloe sobs.

"No, Chloe. You're not lame. You look like you're having an anxiety attack. I need you to take deep breathes. Do it with me." Marinette uses a hand to show breathing slowly. Chloe follows her, slowly calming down. "See, you're doing great. I'm going to tell Mme. Bustier that you'll need to take the test some other time."

"What? No, I can take the test." Chloe says, standing up. 

Marinette puts her hand on Chloe's arm. "No, not today. Go take a walk and drink some water."

Chloe sighs. "Fine."

"Thank you. Take care yourself Chloe." Marinette waves and walks back to class. When she walks back in before Chloe, many gave her confused looks. She ignores them all, going straight to Mme. Bustier's desk. 

"Chloe had an anxiety attack." She whispers. "I told her that she needs to take a walk and drink some water. Is it okay if she takes the test some other time?"

"Yes, yes! Of course! Does she need her bag?" Mme. Bustier asks. 

"Probably, should I go bring it to her?" 

Mme. Bustier nods, so Marinette runs out with Chloe's bag, catching her just before she was leaving. She runs back to class and sits in her seat, trying to finish the test. 

"Psst." Adrien catches her attention. "What happened?"

"Anxiety attack." Marinette mumbles. 

"Really? She hasn't had those in a while." Adrien says under his breath.

"What's going on?" Alya asks.

"Chloe just wasn't feeling well." Adrien answers for Marinette. By now the class was quiety talking about what they think happened.

Mme. Bustier claps her hands, quieting the class. "Alright, alright. Chloe just felt a little sick, is all. She'll be okay. Continue with the test." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Word count: 1021