Chapter 13

A/n: Hello everybody! Today is still July 2, 2021, although it's very late. I'd just like to say gaslight, gatekeep, girlboss. Thank you. Thank you.

Y/n pulls away from his grip, pivoting to grab onto the other sword slung on his belt. His hands fly out, also grasping the hilt as the two battle for control of the weapon. Fandral slips up for just a second, which is enough time for Y/n to throw herself backward with the sword, desperate to pry it away from him.

Fandral drops off the side of the turret, relinquishing the hilt to cling to a gargoyle instead, swinging his bodyweight down onto a spiral staircase. The hilt flies out of Y/n's hand as well, the sword clattering on a stone footbridge below. 

Severely wounded, Loki struggles to climb the palace, the turrets all around him quivering with the doom of its end. "I'm coming for you, beast!" Fandral yells. He continues until he reaches the bottom of the staircase, dropping into a window parapet.

Loki scrambles to a second turret, finding little purchase that makes him slide out of view, Y/n gasping in fear. She stumbles out, flying down a staircase and jumping to an adjacent tower, scrambling to find him. Finally spotting him, she watches him swing as far away from Fandral as he can get.

He slips.

She screams.

He holds on and looks at her. "Y/n?" He asks. "Y/n! You came back!"

"I tried to stop them," Y/n pleads, tears streaming down her face.

"Stay there; I'm coming!"

Fandral drops onto the walkway lined with gargoyles, landing directly between Loki and Y/n. He sneers as his eyes search for a weapon. He grabs a stone spire and breaks it of, brandishing it before him. With superhuman agility, Loki makes a giant leap from the far parapet back toward the central turrets.

Back toward Y/n.

She descends the stairs, finally reaching his chambers. He lands on the gargoyle walk and Fandral jumps out, bringing his club cracking down on Loki's back, who roars in pain. But alas, he pushes past him. With Fandral landing blow after blow on Loki's back, he staggers down a set of stairs onto the landing of a stone footbridge, spotting the discarded sword.

"Stop! Fandral, no!" Y/n screams, helpless from her spot across from them. She watches the footbridge crumble under their combined weights, everything weakened by the almost wilted rose. Loki reaches the cupola on the far side, directly parallel to his chambers. One giant leap stands between him and Y/n.

Fandral lifts the club to deliver the death blow, when Loki snatches it. He yanks the club away and hurls it against a far wall. With a snarl, Loki's cold blue hand is around Fandral's throat. He lifts him and swings him out over the edge of the landing.

Fandral kicks his legs out and grasps at Loki's wrists, sniveling pathetically. "No. Don't let me go. Please. Don't hurt me, beast. I'll do anything."

Loki's features twisted with rage and hate, but he controls himself and his anger fades, replaced by images of Y/n watching them in fear. "I am not a beast. I am Prince Loki of Asgard, and I am burdened with glorious purpose." He sets Fandral down. "Go. Get out." Fandral scrambles away.

Y/n gazes proudly into Loki's red eyes, across the final chasm that separates them. He has just enough distance for a head start to leap across to the balcony. "No! It's too far!" Y/n pleads.

But Loki has already bent over slightly, and then he's off, gaining speed as he sprints. With a soft gasp from Y/n, he leaps, flying over the chasm and landing squarely in front of her. He rises and smiles at her. A pained wince overtakes his face as he looks down at her. Past him, across the chasm, Y/n spots Gaston on the crumbling walkway, hand outstretched with a terrible grin on his face.