chapter four

Odd. Or maybe strange. Either one would do. Lady Lyanna was either odd or strange it had to be one or the other, or maybe both? But something about her felt so familiar to Miles though he was sure he had never spoken to her before.

The way she smiled and her lilting voice was all so very familiar. Her hand in the crook of his arm felt... Well it just felt natural.

He was sure she was like all those other snooty ladies he had met in the past. The ones who knew they were beautiful so they used their beauty like a weapon. But when she spoke she sounded so certain of herself, she carried herself like no other lady he had seen before.

Well perhaps Lady Danbury. He shuddered at the thought of the old woman and her damnable cane that she swung around since she had become chair bound.

It was as if every step Lady Lyanna took, she knew it would always land on solid ground so there was no need for her to even look. He had been sure it was arrogance, perhaps it still was, but every time he searched her face all he saw was an innocent smile and the hint of amusement hidden behind her eyes.

She was stunning. The light blue of her dress brought out the blue in her right eye, and the light color gave contrast to her skin making it appear paler than it was. Lady Lyanna was striking. She had an almost exotic feel to her presence.

But this wasn't the time to fawn over her, he needed answers and it seemed the easier option to get them from her instead of her father.

So when he had asked her if she had attended school as they left the drawing room. He had assumed she would respond with the same bland response as so many other ladies had answered before her.

Instead he found her gazing at him intently, that if she looked hard enough she would find whatever it was she was searching for. He had to look away, he told himself it was merely because it wasn't proper to stare, but in truth he was worried.

Maybe if she did look hard enough she would find whatever it was she was searching for and that thought terrified him. He led Lady Lyanna into the dinning room and deposited her in her chair, pulling it out for her to sit. She had not answered his question and it seemed she had disregarded it entirely. But as he took his seat next to her she leaned in ever so slightly and said,
"I was far too rebellious. My father was terrified that I'd besiege a city if given the chance so he refused to let me attend school. Afraid for it's occupants I suppose."

He choked on a snort, surprised by her comment. So when he half turned to her he truly intended upon replying to her funny statement. But dear God the woman was literally shoving her chest up against his arm that he had trouble remembering what she had said. She let out a light hearted laugh then pierced him with those mesmerizing mismatched eyes.

"Tell me Mr. Bridgerton, were you a wicked child as well?" He thought back to all the pranks he and his brother had pulled. To all the times he had been as she had called it, wicked.

"I'm afraid so." He finally said with a sigh.
"Tell me Lady Lyanna do you have any siblings?" He needed something to distract him from the way her chest rose and fell between breaths but he was in extreme anticipation as she weighed out her answer.

It wasn't a hard question, a very simple one actually. Very easy to answer. Yes or no. But it gave him hope as he watched her eyes glance about the room as she thought about it.

Finally she opened her mouth to speak. He caught himself gazing at her bottom lip. It was large and plump, for a second he wondered what it would taste like. What she would taste like. But then she closed it as something caught her attention. Miles glanced over in the direction of her gaze and found she was staring right at her father.