chapter fourteen

Miles had waited near the drawing room, he hadn't meant to hover, but it was useless when he knew Lyanna was in the same vicinity as him. When the drawing room doors had opened, he had ducked behind the stairs feeling every bit as childish as he was acting. As he watched his mother and aunt depart together he felt his stomach flutter.

Lyanna had not left the drawing room with the other two, which meant she was still inside. Alone. He felt a wicked grin cross his face, he had told himself he wouldn't trap her and he had meant it. But it was pure torture to know she was in there sitting all alone, and he couldn't help but wonder what she might be doing.

He found himself pausing at the door handle, he could leave the door open and Lyanna's reputation wouldn't be put in question. It was the gentlemanly thing to do, he told himself as he opened it. Then he saw her and he knew that the world just wasn't fair, and that God must be testing him for surely his eyes were playing tricks.

Lyanna was curled up on the love seat, her head rested on the arm of it, the angle of it did not look comfortable he noted. Her eyes were closed and she was taking deep even breaths.

He entered the room hoping she would wake but she didn't stir. He let the door go and gave it a gentle shove, he didn't hear it click which meant he could still claim some propriety.

He stepped towards her one foot at a time, all while watching her eyes expecting they'd open before he reached her. If she stayed asleep like that he wasn't sure that'd he'd be able to resist. He might have to whisk her away like a fairytale prince. He wanted to laugh at his silly thoughts, but when it concerned Lyanna nothing seemed silly or unreasonable.

He took another step towards her, he could see her clearly now. Her eyelashes were long and thick and rested on the top of her cheek, her lips were parted just a hint.

On reflex he reached out and touched her cheek, she was warm, but where her skin touched his it felt like an electric burst. He told himself that this was as far as he could go, that he had to wake her up no matter how much he didn't want to. It was the right thing to do.

But as his fingers traced lightly over her jaw a soft little moan escaped her lips. Every muscle in his body tensed, and his body finally became aware that they were alone. He felt himself harden, he swallowed trying to take deep steadying breaths, but his fingers never stopped their tracing of her face.

Lyanna seemed to become a bit confused by the sensation he realized, as her brows scrunched just a bit in the middle. Then her face relaxed as he traced the outline of her ear. He was going to stop now he told himself, but then she smiled and her eyes fluttered open.

She was still groggy, halfway in the throes of sleep. Blinking several times she stretched an arm out and yawned then began to situate herself more comfortably on the love seat. He was about to speak when he heard her mumble,
"I'm glad it's you." His heart beat wildly.

"Lyanna?" He asked in a hushed voice,
"Are you awake?" She didn't move. He held his breath, why he wasn't sure. Lyanna's eyes fluttered again.

"Mmhm." She mumbled turning in his direction, but her eyes were closed and she raised her eyebrows as if to open them but they refused.

"I believe you're still sleeping." He said with a cheeky grin, Lyanna just nodded slightly as if to assent.

He felt emboldened so he crouched down to her level and brushed her hair over her shoulder. She smiled again.
"I think you should wake up Lyanna." She scrunched her face.

"Noo." She begged her face taking on a childish expression.
"What would the good people of the ton think if they saw you right now?" He asked knowing she probably wouldn't answer coherently.

"They can piss off." Lyanna said gruffly, he couldn't stifle his laugh and it burst from him with great force. Lyanna was truly a different breed of woman, he had never heard someone speak so bluntly, especially not a young lady. Her eyes flew open, startled, she struggled to right herself and he noticed that her corset had dipped rather low.

"What are you doing?!" She whispered vehemently.

"Well I would ask you the same thing, but it was quite clear you were sleeping. It felt wrong to wake you." He added as Lyanna's eyes flashed with anger and her cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

"If someone finds us like this I'll be ruined." She stated dryly, finally adjusting her corset to Miles' displeasure.

"I fail to see how that matters as you're already ruined." It had not been the right thing to say, he had only realized it too late.

"You-you- how dare you!" Her nostrils flared, her mouth opening and closing as she struggled for words. He had to note that she looked rather cute when she was angry.

"I will not have you spreading lies." She finally ground out through clenched teeth, she stood abruptly catching him off guard. He fell onto his backside and stared up at her in amused disbelief.

"I would never tell lies about you." He said with sincerity.
"You're the only person I would never want to lie to. I'd hope you'd feel the same." Lyanna crossed the room quickly before he had time to stand.

"You shouldn't hope. It leads to disappointment." She stated as she reached the door and opened it,
"You don't strike me as a man who handles disappointment well, best to save yourself the trouble Mr. Bridgerton."

With that she left the drawing room leaving him in stunned silence. What did she mean? Was she trying to tell him that it was foolish of him to hope that she'd marry him?

Or was she saying that he'd be disappointed no matter what as nothing would meet the expectations he set. Somehow though it felt as if she had been talking to herself more than him in that moment.