chapter twenty-six

They were married within the week. It was a small ceremony, Miles' family had all came. Though it did pain him to know that the only family Lyanna had in attendance was her father and the spindly butler he had come to know now as Hobs.

The Duke was standing on the threshold of the chapel, Lyanna was on his arm, and for all the world he couldn't imagine being happier than he was right then.

They had said their vows, made their pledges, and now they were man and wife. It felt like a dream.

After the ceremony a small reception was held at Bridgerton House.

Lyanna had gotten to meet all of his Aunts, Uncle's, and cousins, now all of which were hers too. He couldn't be happier, it just wasn't possible, but everytime he looked at her during the reception he couldn't help but think it again.

They danced together, he twirled her around and found himself enchanted by her musical laughter. After finishing a dance he handed her off to his father who insisted that he show her how a real man should dance. He noticed the Duke towards the back of the ballroom chatting with his Uncle Benedict.

He made his way over to them just as Benedict was leaving.
"Congratulations nephew, now if you'll excuse me I need to find that alluring wife of mine." Benedict said clapping a hand on Miles' shoulder as he went to hunt down his wife Sophie.

"He's the same as he was back at school." The Duke supplied as he watched Benedict leave. Miles wasn't sure why he had sought the Duke out, but now he felt compelled to stay and find out.

"He's always been obsessed with his wife. He paints at least seven portraits of her a year." He felt himself smile as he saw his Uncle find his Aunt.

"All good husbands are obsessed with their wives." The Duke retorted. He looked to the Duke who was now also smiling at the sight of his Uncle and Aunt.

"She looks lovely doesn't she?" Miles didn't need to follow the Dukes gaze to know he was speaking about Lyanna.
"I remember when she was just a little girl begging to sleep in the room with her mother and I." He chuckled at the memory.

"Now before long I'll see her become a mother." He pondered that for a moment as he gave Miles a sly smile.

"I'm sure I'll have grandchildren to occupy my time before too long." He said as he continued to regard Miles with that same sly smile.

"Well I wouldn't want to disappoint you or my mother." He said bowing his head graciously. The Duke continued to smile, but Miles was watching Lyanna as his father turned and twirled her around the dance floor. Her long lacey dress flowing out behind her. She looked like an angel. Miles felt that old feeling again, that if she asked him to, he'd worship her.

"I think I need to steal my wife away from my father." He said as he nodded at the Duke and started towards the dancing pair.

"She'll keep you on your toes, remember that want you," the Duke paused a light sparked in his eyes.
"Sandringham." At the use of his new name Miles stopped.

"Of course." He said, this time he bowed to the Duke and went to retrieve his new wife, but before he could get to her, David had blocked his path.

"Going somewhere cousin?" He asked with a suspicious smile.
"Perhaps you can share a drink with me, you know as one future Duke to another." Miles fought the urge to laugh but didn't win.

"And what does one Duke say to another?" He asked with amusement. David gave him a cheeky smile.
"Perhaps we'll find out." Miles looked at him doubtfully. He may be the one inheriting the title, but it was Lyanna who held the position.

"I'm afraid if you hope to find out you'll have to speak with my wife." David clapped him on the shoulder as their Uncle had done, but David held onto his shoulder.

"Tell me, since we know her little secret does that mean I'm allowed to tease her with it?" David raised his brows in a devious way and Miles felt that light feeling in his stomach again. The same feeling he had had when he'd seen Lyanna escorted down the aisle by her father.

"Be my guest, and make sure to do it often." He said with a wicked little laugh.
"I don't think I've ever seen you so happy before." David said, a bit surprised.

"I don't think I've ever been this happy before." He replied truthfully. And it was true, he had never felt this sort of giddy excitement before. Even when he had went to tell his father about the plan for him to take the Sandringham name.

Anthony had been in his study, and Miles had hesitated outside the door for a solid ten minutes before knocking. It wasn't that he was worried his father would disapprove.

He had been afraid that his father would be disappointed or worse, sad. He didn't want to think about his father being sad. But when he had finally summoned the courage to say it out loud to his father, he had seen neither.

"My son's to be a Duke?" Anthony had asked him with disbelieving eyes.
Then he had repeated the sentiment again only this time making it a statement. Anthony had looked at Miles and there was no sadness or disappoinment in his eyes.

Then his father got up from his chair and walked around his desk, and for the first time in probably twelve years his father hugged him.
"You'll be a fine Duke." Anthony had whispered into his ear.

Then his father had laughed.
"The Duchess will do everything anyway." And Miles had laughed with his father after that. They had shared a whiskey and then his father had told him about marriage and how it changes a person. And how he ought to learn that letting a woman think she's right is always the right thing to do, even if she's wrong.

He had laughed at that, not because he didn't believe it. There most certainly was truth in his father's words, but because if it was Lyanna, then she probably was right. The ordeal or what he assumed would be an ordeal was now a precious moment to him. It was a memory that he would cherish forever.

Breaking his reverie he turned back to his cousin.
"I have to rescue my wife, if I don't it's likely she'll beat my father to a pulp if he starts to annoy her." David let out a hearty laugh and waved him away with his hand.
"Go if you must Sandringham, I shall stay and attend to the flock."

Miles laughed as he walked away. He spotted Lyanna on the edge of the dance floor now, she had escaped his father, but was now chatting with his mother. He realized that they were talking just as Kate and Maria had weeks ago in the drawing room.

God it probably wasn't good for his heart to be this happy. He walked over to them and his mother gave him a quick kiss on the cheek before disappearing in a flash.

"Where is she off to I wonder?" He questioned aloud as he watched his mother make her way through the crowd of people.

Lyanna gave a childish grin as she leaned in and whispered,
"I think she's embarrassed, as you came right when she was trying to explain the wedding night." He fought to contain his laughter and won, but Lyanna hadn't. She went into a fit of giggles.

"What do you say we take our leave?" He asked his voice growing slightly darker as he said it.
"I say we go now." She said looking him up and down.
"I don't know if I can contain myself for much longer." Her eyes grew hazy and her breathing had shallowed.

Without another word he led her out and to the carriage, they climbed in, he couldn't remember where they were even supposed to be going. She had intoxicated him again, and all he wanted to do was slip her white dress off her pale skin.

"I love you." She whispered against his ear as he kissed her collarbone.

"I love you too."

She pushed him away and for a moment he felt worried, but he looked into her eyes and saw just how much she truly did love him.
"You'll always be with me?" She asked and for a moment she sounded so very small, so very childlike.

"I'll be with you forever. I'm afraid you'll never be alone again." She smiled and he saw tears prick the corners of her eyes.

"Good."

He pulled her to his chest and felt her sigh against him. He kissed her forehead and rested his cheek against the top of her head. And for the first time in his life, he was finally at home.