chapter twelve

Miles had stopped by Bridgerton House before calling on Lyanna. His mother had sat in the drawing room, her embroidery laying lazily in her lap. Miles had come to tell his parents his plans to marry, but as his mother droned on about the numerous parties and such that she would be taking Lyanna to. He had no choice. He had decided not to make his interest known.

But when his mother had asked him,
"Would you do me a favor dear?" He had smiled wanly and said, anything you ask, and when his mother smiled mischievously back and asked him,
"Will you deliver my invitation to Lady Lyanna for tea?" He had been too overjoyed to oblige.

As he had made his way to Sandringham House, he rehearsed the speech he planned to give the Duke. He'd have to tell the Duke what happened in the forest. But when he turned his horse into the gates he was struck in awe. He had never been to this side of the city, he actually didn't know anyone who lived in this part of London.

The house was a massive structure, but even though it was enormous it didn't disturb the natural features of the land. This side of London had more greenery, it seemed almost wild. It did not escape him that the land reflected the owner. So as he climbed the steps and wrapped on the door he was a bit dismayed to find it to be just as David had said.

When he had asked the grey spindly butler if the Lady was home, he had hoped that Lyanna would at the very least turn him away herself. But she hadn't, and the butler gave no excuse to her lack of appearance. So when he had then asked to speak with the Duke, his lips had curved into a suspicious smile, hoping Lyanna was watching him somewhere from the shadows.

He glanced around as he followed the butler to the drawing room. Realizing he was hoping to catch a glimpse of Lyanna. Anything would do to, just the sight of her dark hair would help ease this aching in his chest. The butler asked if he wanted tea or scotch when they arrived at the drawing room, but he declined.

He felt nervous, it had been a strange night, and an even stranger morning. He had to tell Lyanna's father that he intended to marry her. He was an honorable man and he had ruined a well bred lady before she had even a chance to debut. But as he stood there staring at the light yellow pattern of flowers that sprinkled the walls, he realized he didn't want her this way.

Lyanna had kissed him back with passion in that forrest. What if David was also right that she'd hate him? He couldn't live with himself if she hated him. It hit him hard, but he just couldn't imagine Lyanna not smiling at him, her small round face flushed with need. Miles didn't want to suffer even the thought, there was no way he could trap her. Not like this.

Lyanna had been so very upset at him when he had tried to tell her that he would take responsibility for what they had done. Hell she had knocked him out before he could even finish saying it. The horror and grimace on her face. He shook his head, and shoved his hands into his pockets. No he didn't want her looking at him like that ever again.

After what felt like an eternity the Duke finally made his way into the drawing room.
"Good afternoon Mr. Bridgerton, a pleasure to see you again." The Duke was an imposing man. He was on the taller side, maybe even taller than Miles' Uncle Benedict, but where he was tall he was more so broad. His muscles were clearly defined underneath the light grey jacket he wore. He was just as much a force of nature as his daughter. But if Lyanna was a storm, then the Duke must be a hurricane.

"The pleasure is all mine, your grace." Miles said gracefully bowing.
"I hope you had a pleasant evening after your departure? " Clarence's face flashed through his mind along with the thought that Clarence might also have bulked up, even more so than the Duke.
"I did. Forgive me, may I ask why you've come all this way? Bridgerton House is a good ride from here." The Duke had yet to sit so Miles had to remain standing, he wasn't sure why but he felt like the Duke wanted to intimidate him.