When it's Halloween

The last tie of the corset on your little red riding hood costume was secured as you fluffed your curls with your fingers tips. You werent looking forward to hanging with your best friend Nijah and her dumbass brother Q and his even dumber crew, Bishop, Raheem and Steele.

" Why we got to go out with them? We was better going to the Halloween party with Brenda." You fussed, checking out yourself in the mirror to make sure the costume that was alittle bit inappropriate for a 17 year old to wear was intact.

" I wanna have fun. Those Halloween parties are lame as hell and Q's friends are funny. I like Steel." Nijah shrugged blushing.

" Ugh, girl you like his disrespectful fat ass?!"

" I don't judge, shitttt... You like Raheem." She mumbled the last part.

" I do not like Raheem, ok. I don't know where you get that stupid shit from."

" You can keep lying to yourself but you like how he be flirting with you, low-key brushing up against your ass in the hallways at school, and how you tense up when he calls you "Ma"."

You rolled your eyes.

" Whatever. What time are we leaving? Are we getting a ride?"

" Nope, we're meeting them at Mae Lings Chinese spot so they can probably jack some kids once we meet up."

" And what fun is that gonna be!?" You questioned.

" Raheem and Steele is gonna be there! We ain't got nothing else to do. And Brenda's party is 18 and older. We just made 17, they check IDs, the IDs we don't have." Nijah exaggerated. You stomped your foot and crossed your arms.

You didn't have anything to do that weekend anyway, your parents were out to dinner and getting a room afterwards and all you would be doing is sitting in the house. You heard Nijahs pager beeping

" Alright, we got the signal. I'm gonna put on a little more lipgloss and mascara and we gonna shake."

" You should've already had that done, hurry your ass up." You laughed.

****

Kids were skipping and running around in their costumes with little candy buckets as you and Nijah walked down the leafy path towards the Chinese restaurant with the heels of both of your boots softly thudding with every step. It was a pretty warm night, which you were grateful for because you weren't trying to wear an oversized coat.

Nijah wore a bride of Chucky costume. Working the shit out her fit.

" You looking fine as hell in that costume, girl." You complimented, causing Nijah to flip her long straight blonde wig.

" Y'know a girl gotta dress to impre- oh shit. There go those Puerto Ricans."

You looked to the side and just feet away across the street the notorious gang in the neighborhood. You sighed heavily.

" Let's cross this street, they ain't gonna see us."

" I see you hiding girl! Come over here so I can talk to you!" The leader of the gang yelled out.

" We got to go to them" Nijah said.

" Why? We can just ignore him."

" The last bitch that ignore him almost got her baby toe blown off. I don't want my shit blown off too!"

You rolled your eyes.

" Let's make this quick."

You two walked up to them with a dull expression on your face.