Chapter Eleven: Sunny, Sunday

"Hell, yeah," Sunny said when Lauren called to ask him if he wanted to go to an open house near where he lived. "That sounds like a brilliant idea." 

Jordan's situation had bugged him all night, as tired as he'd been from all that dancing and, to his delight, Tej's sudden randiness for him after everyone had been put to bed; dancing sometimes did that to her, and he was happy he'd suggested to Tori that they end the night that way, because everybody had loved it, even his friends as soon as they'd gotten over their embarrassment at not knowing the moves. 

Even after their sweaty lovemaking, though, it had taken him a while to relax enough for sleep, because he felt guilty for turning Jordan away, regardless of the fact that he was supposed to be glad-handing the whole time he spent looking at that footage with him. 

Here was a chance to redeem himself, even if Jordan never knew he was doing this. They couldn't do anything about the footage, because it did rightfully belong in the hands of the police, but what harm could it do to meet one of the players in this game?

"Lauren," he said, "Does it seem strange to you that this man is hosting an Open House while his wife is missing?"

"It would seem strange," she said, "if in fact she is missing. We have only Jordan's word she's missing and that her husband filed a missing person's report."

"So, if he's there," Sunny said, "does that make Jordan a liar?"

Lauren was silent a moment, as if she were considering his question. "I don't know. Maybe he still has to pay the bills, so he does this open house; maybe it was scheduled before his wife went missing, and when he's done he'll rejoin his family and friends, who've been looking for his wife the whole time he was doing the open house."

"I suppose. If Tej went missing I'd be a basket case, unable to perform my work with any competence."

"Because she's the best thing that ever happened to you and you'd be lost without her," Lauren said. "Speaking of Tej, we really need her to come, too, because we need her to play the part of our agent."

"Done. I want her to come too. I'll leave Harpreet and Ajit with my parents."

"How did your parents do last night, by the way?" she asked. "I know they don't go out a lot because of your dad's health."

"They were okay, thanks for asking. They mostly sat and watched from the side. My friend Manny took them home before the night was over."

"That's nice of him. Doesn't he live in the Fraser Valley somewhere?"

"Yeah, well, Surrey, but it's not a terrible detour to take them home and then get on to Stewardson Way, which takes you to Royal Avenue and then the Pattulo Bridge."

"Okay, well, should we meet you there in an hour? Outside the house?"

"Perfect. I'll let Tej know, she'll be so excited."

He hung up and looked for his wife, finding her just out of the shower and combing her wet hair in their ensuite bathroom, one of three and a half in the house as Tej would define it; the kids shared one, and his parents shared one, plus there was a powder room on the main floor for guests to use the toilet and wash their hands.

She smiled lasciviously at him in the mirror as he approached and put his hands on her naked hips. "Good morning," she said. "I hope you didn't mind me sleeping in a little; I was exhausted after that fantastic night."

He leaned in and kissed her neck, and she took in a deep breath. "No problem, you know me, I get up early no matter the day for morning prayers. So, what about last night exhausted you? The dancing, or--"