Chapter Sixty-Two: Sunny, Monday

When Tej entered the ICU with the kids, and Sunny saw her face, he knew the first words he should say were, "I'm sorry, my love."

"You're damn right you're sorry," she growled, then bent over his bed and kissed him hard on the mouth.

"Ew, Mom," Harpreet said. "Come on."

"Let Mom have this moment," she said. "Your Dad acted very stupidly last night, but heroically, and I can be simultaneously furious at him and relieved he's all right."

"Where's your turban, Dad?" Ajit asked. 

"It got used as a tourniquet," he replied. "Don't worry. I can stand being a long-haired hippie for a while."

"I'll bring you a fresh one later today," Tej said. "Maybe I'll bring Rachel to see you too; she's dying to know what happened and wants to hear it from you, but she's busy doting on Lauren now that she's home. Once Joe gets some sleep, he'll take over and she'll come here."

"So, Joe's still sleeping at the family home?"

"I think it's a soft launch, now that Lauren needs the help. He may have things he needs to move back, but I don't think that's at the top of his mind right now. Lauren wants to see you too, but you may have to meet up when you're both out of hospital."

"Poor Lauren. I bet she wishes she was there."

"Naira told me everything. She had no choice; if she hadn't, I might have shot her with her own gun if it hadn't been taken into evidence after the shootout."

"Mom!" Harpreet said. "That's not a nice thing to say."

"Well, your mother has a right to be angry at her," Sunny said. "I'd say Naira and I share the blame fifty fifty."

"She slept over at our place, Dad," Ajit said. "She used our shower."

Harpreet made gagging noises at the dreamy look on Ajit's face. "God, am I going to have to put up with you like this from now on?"

"As long as she's staying with us, anyway."

"So, has she supplanted Mrs. Sandhu as your crush?" Sunny asked.

Ajit gasped. "You knew about that?"

"Everybody knew about that!" Harpreet shouted at him. "You're not exactly subtle about it."

"Harpreet," Sunny said, "there are other people resting in this room, try to keep your voice down."

"Sorry," she said, in a more hushed tone.

"I heard Mrs. Sandhu got arrested," Ajit said sadly. "I hope they don't punish her too harshly."

"Well, she did do a couple of not so good things," Sunny said. "I know you like her, but she made some unwise choices and has to pay for them, but I know she's not an evil person." 

Suddenly the memory of her kiss came to him, and Tej must have seen something on his face, because she said, "Kids, can you wait outside for a moment?"

"Why?" Harpreet asked.

"Dad and I need to say a few things in private, and maybe do a few other things you won't approve of."

"Ugh. Say no more. Come on, loverboy," Harpreet grabbed Ajit's hand and pulled him to the door.

"Tosh is gay, by the way!" Ajit called to him. "We all support him!"

When the door closed, Sunny turned to Tej and said, "Is that true?"

She nodded and waved that away. "What are you not telling me?" she asked.

"Am I that transparent?"

"You could never keep the truth from me for long. Spill."