Chapter Forty-Three: Lauren, Saturday

"I didn't know rain was in the forecast," Al said as the first drops hit the windshield.

"It was supposed to come overnight," Lauren said as she drove steadily on Eighth Street, slowing a little to make up for the increased slipperiness on the road. "Good thing it didn't rain earlier when we were waiting outside."

"Mom, what happened?"  Tosh asked. "Why did we have to leave before we found out if we won?"

She'd told him they had to leave because of an emergency, but hadn't specified what it was. She didn't think she could explain the whole story to him, but he deserved to know something. "You know how my work is kind of secret?" she said.

"Yeah."

"Well, something happened tonight that's related to my work, and I thought it was a good idea, for everyone's safety, to leave before some bad people showed up and made trouble."

"What kind of bad people?"

"Did you hear those drones when we were outside?" Al asked. Lauren didn't think bringing up the drones was a good idea, but she didn't have a chance to come up with a story with Al beforehand.

"I heard something. Was it drones?"

"Yeah. Some bad people were using them to spy on everyone there."

"Why would they do that?" Tosh asked, suddenly scared.

"They were looking for someone," Lauren said. "Not us, but we thought it was a good idea if we didn't stick around and get on their cameras."

"Is that why Uncle Sunny, Aunt Tej, Ajit and Harpreet left too?"

"Yes."

"Don't worry, buddy," Al said, "if our bids win, they'll let us know. When we signed up for our numbered paddles, we registered with a name and phone number in case we had to leave before the end of the night. We can always go back another day and pick them up."

 Lauren caught her son's eye in the rearview mirror. He seemed unconcerned about the art now. "I'm worried about them," he said. "Can I text Ajit?"

"That sounds like a great idea," Al said, pulling out his own phone. "I'll call Uncle Sunny and make sure they're okay."

While Al made his call, Lauren focused on the road, because Eighth Street had become Canada Way, and soon she would take the turnoff for Highway One. She checked her rear view and side view mirrors to ensure no one was coming up on her blind spot while she changed lanes for the turnoff. The Highlander was more vehicle than she wanted, and she was extra careful about her spatial awareness. She wished she was in the Versa right now, but it would have been tight with the six of them going to the ravine earlier.

Damn it, the car behind her was following a little too close for her liking. Didn't people know that they should keep an extra car length apart when it was raining, especially when it was dark, just in case a sudden brake made them hydroplane? She sped up a little just to put some distance between them, and to reach a good speed for when she merged onto the highway.

"Yeah, okay," Al said to whoever was on the other line. "I'm glad you have Tori following you back to your place. Safety in numbers, and all that. Do you have an extra bedroom? Oh, yeah. Great. Well, call if there's any new development." He hung up and said, "They're almost home already."

They would be too, soon, as the highway was pretty light on a rainy Saturday night. The cars in front and in the lane next to her were keeping a good distance, and she kept a steady pace, under the speed limit but still keeping up with the rest of the traffic.

Except for that damned car behind her.

"Jesus Christ," she hissed, as it flashed its high beams twice in her rearview mirror. "Pass me if you want, I'm in the right lane, for fuck's sake."