Chapter Thirty-One: Lauren, Tuesday

Joe knocked on the door. He actually knocked on the door of his own house when he had the key. Lauren opened the door, said, "Not interested, sorry," and then made to close the door, but opened it again when she got half way, chuckling. 

Joe didn't look impressed.

"Come ooooon!" she whined. "I'm just joking around. Why didn't you let yourself in? You've done it before to get the kids for church and stuff."

"I don't know," he said stiffly. "When you called me and told me to come here, that you had something to talk to me about, I thought the gravity of your request made it a good idea to knock."

The gravity of her request. So, even he knew she had something big to tell him. All joviality left her then, and she cleared her throat and said, "Come in."

He followed her into the living room, then stopped when he saw Rachel sitting on the couch. "Rachel," he said, surprised. "What are you doing here?"

She stood and said, "I'm here to support Lauren."

Joe frowned and said, "What's going on?"

"We need to talk, as I said on the phone," Lauren said. 

"And you needed Rachel here with you while you talk to me? We're not so far gone that you need to worry about your safety, are we? You know I'd never hurt you, Lauren."

"Well, we'll see about that."

"What do you mean?" He looked at Rachel and said, "Where's Al?"

"At work," Rachel said. "He's not needed for this conversation. In fact, he's probably the last person you want here."

"Well, yeah, is that a surprise?"

"No. We didn't want the kids here either, so we made sure they were at school before we got together. Lauren and I are going into work a bit later, after we're done here."

"And what is it we're doing here?" Joe asked.

"Well, first I should tell you that Al and I got that townhouse we were looking at. We'll be moving out soon."

"Oh!" Joe said, perhaps with more delight than he meant to show. "Well, you didn't have to bring me here to tell me that. You could have just called me."

"You're right," Lauren said, "but that's not the main reason we brought you here."

Joe looked from her to Rachel, then back to her. 

"Oh, by the way, how was Joanie's first day back?" Lauren asked.

He blinked in surprise. "Oh, uh, good. She's at a desk and her hours are set. No overtime. They want to ease her back as smoothly as possible. Eventually, though, she'll be back to her usual hours, which are all over the place, especially if she goes for detective."

"Will she, do you think?"

"I think she will. She was kind of pissed off at Goncalves on Saturday, for being so dismissive of her rank and posting. She was like, if that bitch can make detective, then I can. Her words, not mine."

"I share Joanie's assessment of Goncalves," Rachel said, "but I also feel a little sorry for her too, because her friend is missing. It makes her more human, though I'm loathe to admit it."

Joe chuckled. 

"If her hours are going to increase," Lauren said, "then she won't be home as much, and she won't have as much time to miss you if you come home to me."

"If?" Joe asked. "Have you changed your mind about wanting me to come home? Is that why I'm here?"

"No, on the contrary, I still want you to come home, more than ever."