Chapter Thirty-Eight: Sunny, Saturday

Sunny had never visited Glenbrook Ravine before, even having lived all his life in New Westminster. It was one of those hidden gems, a tiny bit of wilderness in the middle of the city. Much of its history was tied to the old penitentiary that occupied a large tract of land with Columbia Street along the south perimeter, Richmond Street on its western edge, stretching east into Sapperton and north to the Glenbrooke neighbourhood (the extra e in its name an unexplained inconsistency.) Sunny could remember driving by the penitentiary when he was a kid, before most of it was torn down, the main gatehouse looming like a medieval castle over Columbia Street, the high walls so forbidding, and vowing never to do anything bad and getting sent to that place. The main gatehouse had since been repurposed many times until settling as an Irish-themed pub and restaurant.

A large bell from the old penitentiary sat in a display case at the entrance to the ravine, a few yards away from an amenities centre that served the neighbourhood as a banquet hall and daycare. They all parked in the lot beside the building, got out and stretched. On the other side of the street was a long term care home called Royal City Manor. Near the bell was an odd sculpture that resembled an egg being cradled by four white, stripped trees etched with Indigenous art. A glance at the plaque at the base of the sculpture informed that it represented the beginning of time and paid tribute to the Qayqayt people who were the original residents of the area.

Tori joined them today, since she would be with Sunny at the event later, and she also deserved to know about this place, especially since she'd had to wait to hear about it until after the detectives had interviewed him yesterday. She wasn't dressed as flamboyantly as she was at the campaign opener, but as if for a hike, in a puffy jacket, sturdy boots and cargo pants, even though the path through the ravine was mostly level and the walk not very long. This wasn't a wilderness jaunt, but for Sunny it would be a journey into the past.

The kids ran off immediately on the gravelled path leading into the ravine. Logan was the only one who'd chosen not to come, as he had a school project to work on. He was in his senior year of high school, and grades counted if he wanted to go into post-secondary. Under Joe's tutelage from a summer working on construction sites, Logan had developed a knack for the trade and was probably going to go to BCIT to earn his ticket. Emma ran hand in hand with Naomi, a little slower than the boys and Harpreet; any faster and her balance would falter, and she didn't want to trip. Emma had fetal alcohol syndrome because her birthmother was an alcoholic, and her balance was one of many issues she had to deal with, so Naomi, her best buddy, was always on the alert for obstacles. 

"Where do you think the dump site will be?" Al asked as soon as they were out of earshot.

Sunny flinched at the phrase. It evoked painful memories for him, especially given where they were. "They never said where in the ravine he was found," he said. "I imagine it will be further in, off the path somewhere."

"I'm hoping the police will have left a bit of evidence behind of their forensic work," Lauren said. "Maybe a bit of police tape tied to a tree, something like that."

They began their walk. Sunny was surprised to see Lauren walking hand in hand with Joe, and Joanie nowhere in sight. Maybe they were doing better after all. Rachel held back while Al ran ahead, calling out to Emma to slow down and stay in sight. 

Tej squeezed his hand, and when he looked at her, she asked, "Are you going to be okay?"

"Yeah," he said, although he wasn't entirely sure of that. "I think it's time they know."

She nodded. "Do you think there's a connection?"

"I don't know, but the coincidence is hard to ignore."

He hadn't been lying when he'd told Lauren he'd never come here before, but he hadn't told her why. When Tracey had told him where they'd found Jordan, he and Goncalves must have carefully noted his response. He'd been in his office at the time, with the door closed, so luckily his colleagues hadn't witnessed him collapsing into his chair. He'd had no choice but to tell them why he'd reacted so strongly to the ravine, and suddenly their investigation had grown a whole new branch, one Sunny hoped wouldn't bear poisoned fruit.