Chapter Thirty-Nine: Sunny, Summer, 2004

Jordan was good on his word. He was able to track the last known ping from Bishan's cell phone. He called Sunny the next morning with the information, after Sunny spent the whole night pacing his bedroom, part of it with Ajit in his arms, soothing him back to sleep, all the while unsure what to tell his parents, and hoping against all hope that his sister would return home, having just gone out for a walk and unaware that everyone was worrying about her. He thought his young son might have felt his tension, because it seemed to take longer than normal to comfort him, and his cries eventually woke Harpreet for a while, so Tej had to take Ajit from him, her soft body more comforting, while Sunny helped his daughter back into bed and read her a story, distracting himself as much as lulling her. 

"I was able to triangulate it to Queensborough," Jordan said, "on the north east corner."

"That's very near where she lives with Balwinder," Sunny said. "So, if she's so close to home, why hasn't she made contact?"

"Her phone had its last ping there, that doesn't necessarily mean it's still there, or that she herself is there."

"Should we give this to the police?" Sunny asked.

"Um, no, because they'd wonder how I got this information. I'd rather not go to jail."

"Well, what should we do?"

"We could go look in the area. Have you checked whether Balwinder filed a police report?"

"I'll do that. Do you want to go look together?"

"If you can stand to be in a car with me."

"Why wouldn't I?"

"Because I could be the reason something happened to Bishan."

There was that. "Well, regardless, you found a real lead, and I'm grateful."

"All right, I'll be there soon."

He hung up and told Tej what Jordan had told him. Her face fell. "I don't like this," she said. "If she's there with her phone and she hasn't called, then something's happened to her and she needs help. If she's not there with her phone, then something's happened to her and she needs help."

He nodded, feeling his heart pounding in his throat. He didn't say anything because he thought he might be sick, having had no sleep, fear jangling his nerves. If he didn't do something soon he thought he might collapse.

"I think we need to tell your parents now," she said.

He nodded again, even though it was the last thing he wanted to do.

They had to tell them anyway, to explain why Sunny hadn't gone into work that day. He had to call in sick and postpone any appointments he had with clients, since there was no way he could perform in his state. He was grateful Jordan drove, because he might have driven off the Queensborough Bridge if he was behind the wheel.

What surprised him was his parents' strength to hold on to hope once he'd told them. As soon as he called Balwinder and confirmed he'd called the police last night, Dad took the phone and began calling everybody he knew at the gurdwara, as many of them lived in Queensborough and could be counted on to keep an eye out for her, since they knew her by sight.

When Jordan picked him up, he told him about Balwinder calling the police and his dad calling around to the neighbours. Jordan nodded and asked, "Did you tell Balwinder about the phone?"

Sunny blinked in surprise. "Actually, no, I didn't."

Jordan nodded. "Good."

"Really?"