Bad Day at Black Rock

It had been a little over a month since Dean had sold his soul and we were on our way to a case, arguing about a demon Sam had met named Ruby. "Because Demon, that's why. I mean the second you find out this Ruby chick is a Demon you go for the holy water! You don't chat!" Dean yells. "No one was chatting, Dean."  "Oh yeah? Then why didn't you send her ass back to Hell?" I asked. "Because - Because she said she might be able to help us out!"  "How?" Sam paused. "No really, Sam, how? How could she possibly help us?" Dean asked.

"She said she could help you, okay?" I thud my head against the back of their seat when I get his meaning, which Dean does not understand. "With the crossroads deal, Dean." I say, looking up. "What is wrong with you, huh? She's lying, you gotta know that, don't you? She knows what your weakness is – it's Kay and I. What else did she say? Dude?" Dean asked, to a silent Sam.

"Nothing..................Nothing, OK?! Look I'm not an idiot Dean, I'm not talking about trusting her, I'm talking about using her. I mean we're at war, right? And we don't know jack about the enemy; we don't know where they are, we don't know what they're doing. I mean, hell, we don't know what they want. Now this Ruby girl knows more than we will ever find out on our own. Now yes, it's a risk, I know that, but we need to take it."

"You're okay right, I mean you're feeling okay?"  "Yes I'm fine, why are you always asking me that?" Before Dean can answer, a phone starts ringing. Sam reaches for his. "It's not mine." I reach for mine, and say the same. Dean goes for his and says the same. "Check the glove compartment, it's Dad's." Dean said after a pause. "Dad's?" Sam and I ask. "Yeah, I keep it charged up in case any of his old contacts call."

Sam opened the glove compartment and pulled out Dad's phone, answering it. "Hello? Yes.....this is Edgar Cayce.....No! No, no, no, don't – don't call the police, I'll handle this myself. Thanks. You know, can you just uh, can you just lock it back up for me? Great. Uhm, I- I uh, I don't have my - my book in front of me, do you- do you have the address so I can... Sure, OK. Go ahead. Right, thanks a lot." Sam ended the call and turned to Dean and I.

"Dad ever tell you he kept a container at a storage place?"  "What?" I asked. "Outside of Buffalo?"  "No way." Dean replied. "Yeah. And someone just broke into it."

Several hours later, we arrived at the storage facility and entered the elevator. "man...." I heard Dean mutter to himself on the ride. "What?" I asked. "Just Dad. You know him and his secrets. Spend all this time with the guy and it's like we barely even know the man."  "Well, we're about to learn something." Sam said and we exited the elevator. Upon finding the storage container, Dean unlocked the padlock and opened the sliding door, flashlights at the ready. On the very dusty floor is a red symbol and several bloody footprints.

"No demons allowed." Sam pointed out, gesturing to the symbol on the floor. "Blood." I muttered, checking out the footprints on the ground. "Hey, check this out." Dean said, holding up a tripwire, which was attached to a shotgun, which was hidden in a large animal skull. "Whoever broke in here got tagged." Sam said. "Dear old Dad..." Dean muttered and I turned back to the bloody footprints. "I got two sets of boot treads here, looks like it was a two-man job. And our friend with the buckshot in him looks like he kept walking."

"So what's the deal? Dad would do work here or something?" Sam asked, to which Dean replied with "Living the high life, as usual." We walk further inside and Dean chuckles, looking at the skull. Sam looks over a desk and I pick up a trophy from a shelf, scraping the dust off. "1995..." I read and Sam walked over. "No way! That's my Division Championship soccer trophy. I can't believe he kept this."  "Yeah... It was probably about the closest you ever came to being a boy....Oh, wow! It's my first sawed-off. I made it myself. Sixth grade." Dean said, laughing and pumping the shotgun. I found a puzzle box with wooden blocks next to it and froze. He couldn't have.....