Wendigo

It had been a little over a week since Jessica died and we were on our way to a case in Colorado, hoping to find Dad. I was in the back, reading a book I found at a thrift store, Dean was driving, and Sam was asleep in the front seat. Suddenly, Sam jerked awake, breathing heavily. Dean looked over him, clearly worried. "You okay?" He asked. Sam looked at him then back out the window. "Yeah, I'm fine." "Another nightmare?" Dean asked, nodding. Sam cleared his throat, done with the conversation.

"You wanna drive for awhile?" Sam laughed at him. "Dude, not once in your whole life have you asked me that." Dean shrugged. "Just thought you might want to. Never mind." Sam sighed and looked at me. "Don't bring me into this. I'm happy with my book." I said, holding up the book. Sam sighed again and looked at Dean. "Look, man, you're worried about me. I get it, and thank you, but I'm perfectly okay." Dean hummed in response. I rolled my eyes and continued reading.

Sam grabbed a map. "All right, where are we?" He asked. "We are just outside of Grand Junction." Dean replied. Sam folded the map again. "You know what? Maybe we shouldn't have left Stanford so soon." "Sam, we dug around that place for a week. We came up with nothing. If you wanna find the thing that killed Jessica-" "We gotta find Dad first." Sam finished for him. "Dad disappearing and this thing showing up after 20 year's is no coincidence." I pointed out, eye's not leaving the page. "Dad will have answers. He'll know what to do." Dean said, staring at the road.

"It's weird, man.These coordinates he left us. This Blackwater Ridge." Sam says, unnerved. "What about it?" Dean asked. "There's nothing there. It's just woods. Why is he sending us to the middle of nowhere?" I looked out the window as we pass a sign that says, "Welcome to Lost Creek Colorado National Forest."

"So Blackwater Ridge is pretty remote." Sam says in the ranger station we found. Dean's looking at the decorations around the room, I am paying attention to the map, trying to memorize it for future use. "It's cut off by these canyons here, rough terrain, dense forest, abandoned silver and gold mines all over the place." "Dude, check out the size of this freaking bear." Dean say's, completely off topic, as usual. Sam looked over, seeing the picture of a man standing behind a gigantic bear. Sam walked over, saying "And a dozen or more grizzlies in the area. It's no nature hike, that's for sure." A ranger walked in, Sam and Dean not noticing.

"You kids aren't planning on going out near Blackwater Ridge by any chance?" Sam and Dean whip around, clearly startled. I chuckle quietly to myself. "Oh, no, sir, we're environmental study majors from UC Boulder, just working on a paper." Sam chuckled and Dean raised a fist. "Recycle, man." The Ranger looked at me, confused. "Younger sister, came along for the ride." I explained. "Bull." The ranger say's in reply to our story. Our eyes flick to each other, worried.

"You're friends with that Haley girl, right?" Dean hesitated, before replying, "Yes. Yes, we are, Ranger....Wilkinson." He finishes after reading the name tag on his shirt. "Well I will tell you exactly what we told her. Her brother filled out a back country permit saying he wouldn't be back from Blackwater until the twenty-fourth, so it's not exactly a missing persons now, is it?" Dean shook his head, going along with it. "You tell that girl to quit worrying, I'm sure her brother's just fine." "We will. Well that Hayley irl's quite a pistol, huh?" Dean said. "That's putting mildly. "Actually you know what would help is if I could show her a copy of that back country permit. You know, so she could see her brother's return date." I say, butting in. The ranger gave me a weird look and I raised my eyebrow's, innocently.

Not too much later we're leaving the ranger's station, me holding a piece of paper. Dean takes it, laughing. "What, are you cruising for a hookup or something?" Sam asked him. "What do you mean?" Dean asked him. "The coordinates point to Blackwater Ridge, so what are we waiting for? Let's just go find Dad. I mean, why even talk to this girl?" Sam asked. We stop walking on opposite sides of the Impala, Sam and I on the same side. "I don't know, maybe we should know what we're walking into before we actually walk into it?" We all paused, looking at each other. "What?" Sam asked. "Since when are you all shoot first and ask questions later, anyway?" Dean asked. "Since now." Sam replied, opening his door. "Really?" Dean and I ask together. We get in and drive to Hayley's house.