Devil's Trap

It was just after a case we did in Salvation, Iowa and Dad was missing. Dean was currently pacing, his phone to his ear, Sam and I sitting on a bed. I was trying to find Dad phsycicly and it wasn't working. "Come on Dad, answer your phone damn it." Dean said into the phone, frustrated. He hung up. "Somethings wrong." He said to us. I opened my eyes and saw Sam staring at the wall, giving a humongous bitchface. "You hear me? Somethings wrong." Dean repeated. "If you had just let me go in there, I coulda ended all this." Sam said. "Sam, the only thing you would have ended was your life." I tell him. "You two don't know that." Sam replied. Dean walked towards Sam. "So what, you're just willing to sacrifice yourself, is that it?" Dean asked him. "Yeah. Yeah, you're damn right I am." Sam said, standing up.

"Well that's not going to happen, not as long as I'm around." Dean said. "What the hell are you talking about Dean, we've been searching for this demon our whole lives. It's the only thing we've ever cared about." "Sam I wanna waste it. I do. Okay? But it's not worth dying over." "What?" "I mean it. If hunting this demon means getting yourself killed then I hope we never find the damn thing." Dean says and I agree. "That thing killed Jess. That thing killed Mom, and probably Kay's too." Sam pointed out. "You said yourself once, that no matter what we do, they're gone, and they're never coming back."

Sam loses it and shoves Dean into the wall. "Don't you say that, not you! Not after all this don't you say that." I grab Sam's arm. "Sam look. The four of us...that's all we have...and it's all I have. Sometimes I feel like I'm barely holding it together man.....without you or Kaylee or Dad....." Dean says. "Dad..." Sam says, and we're all tearing up. Sam let go and walked across the room. Dean I stay where we are, Dean breathing heavily. "He should have called by now. Try him again." I tell Dean. He raised his phone.

Dean's phone rings for a second, then someone answers. Dean asks them, angrily "Where is he." Dean hung up a few seconds later and turned to us. "They've got Dad." "Meg?" Sam asked and Dean nodded. "What'd she say?" I asked."I just told you, Kaylee. Okay. Okay." Dean says, clearly upset. He takes the Colt and tucks it into the back of his jeans. "What are you doing, Dean?" I as him, worried he'll make a stupid decision. Dean grabs his duffle bag. "We got to go." "Why?" Sam asked him. Dean puts on his jacket. "Because the demon knows we're in Salvation, all right. It knows we got the Colt. It's got Dad -- it's probably coming for us next." "Good. We've still got three bullets left. Let it come." Sam says, way too confident. I look at Sam. "Listen, tough guy. We're not ready, okay? We don't know how many of them are out there. Now, we're no good to anybody dead." "Exactly. And we're leaving...now!" Dean finishes for me.

Later on, we're in the Impala speeding down a road. "I'm telling you, Dean, we could have taken him." Sam says. "What we need is a plan. Now, they're probably keeping Dad alive, we just gotta figure out where. They're gonna wanna trade him for the gun." Dean says. Sam shakes his head and Dean turns to him. "Dean, if that were true, why didn't Meg mention a trade? Dad, he might be...." "Don't!" Dean yells. "Look, I don’t want to believe it any more than you. But if he is, all the more reason to kill this damn thing. We still have the Colt. We can still finish the job." "Screw the job, Sam!" Dean yells. "Dean, I'm just trying to do what he would want. he would want us to keep going."

"Stop talking about him like he's already dead! Listen to me, everything stops until we get him back, got it?!" I yell, trying to avert a panic attack. Sam and Dean paused. "So how do we find him?" Sam asked. "Maybe we go to Lincoln. Start at the warehouse where he was taken." Dean replies. "Come on, Dean, you really think these demons are going to leave a trail?" Sam asked him. Dean paused. "You're right. We need help." Dean agreed.

Everything was silent for maybe five minutes until Dean sighed and looked at me in the rear view mirror. "Kaylee, if at any point thing's go sideways, even an inch, I want you to take the Colt and run. Teleport, if need be." "What? Fuck no!" I yelled. "Dean's right. You're the youngest, the one with powers, and the Colt is our only weapon against this thing." "And if you guys die? What then?!" I asked them. They didn't answer and I flopped back in the seat, staring above at the ceiling. "Fine." I agreed quietly and rolled over to face the seat, falling asleep.