Chapter 3

THE TRAIN itself was huge, gorgeous, and old-fashioned. 'The Hogwarts Express'. Nadine clutched her suitcase with both hands, nervously. There were lots of other children, her age and older, but they were all with their families, some of them crying as they were hugged and kissed by protective mothers and fathers.

    Nadine Nott walked with her mother and father through the train station. There was a cold atmosphere, heads high, chin up, and back straight.

     Her mom has always been an affectionate person compared to her dad. Which no one would expect from a cold-looking woman.

   "I'm gonna miss you so much." Mrs. Nott said putting a comforting hand on her back, smiling slightly.

     "Make our family proud and get into Slytherin, if not you know the consequences." Mr. Nott nodded.

     "I will", Nadine reassured her father.

      The Family all said their last goodbyes, Nadine watched her mother and father stroll away and apperating out of the crowded place, and the witch walked on the train trying to find an empty compartment.

       Nadine finally found an empty compartment after putting away her luggage and sat down with her tote bag filled with books.

        "Can I sit here, every other compartment is full." A witch with blond dirty hair asked opening the wooden compartment door.

         "Go ahead," Nadine nodded.

         The witch stepped out of the door and sat across from Nadine with a big smile on her face.

          "Thank you," She responded, not knowing what else to say. After a moment of silence, she went on. "I'm Sadie, Sadie Avery."

           "My name is Nadine Nott," Nadine replied happily because Avery was a well-known pureblood and her family would approve.

           "Nice to meet you," the girl said, "Are you excited about Hogwarts."

            "Yes, but at the same time I am kinda nervous about my house sorting," Nadine answered thinking about what would happen if she got into any house but Slytherin.

           Sadie thought for a second then said, " I assume your parents also want you to get into Slytherin like mine."

           "Yep", Nadine responded thinking about that boy she meet the last two summers who wanted to go against his family's beliefs, it was a brave thing to do but also reckless and stupid.

✯ ✫ ✯

             Getting off the train, a tall man was calling out for first years. Nadine and Sadie slowly pushed their way over there.

             "Firs' years, firs' years. Over here!" he announced loudly. "C'mon on, follow me". All the first years follow the giant man. They walked down a dark and narrow path, but soon Hogwarts came into view, it was beautiful, Nadine thought. "Alight, no more'n four on a boat." He added, signaling towards the boat.

              Nadine and Sadie sat in the first boat closest to them fast.

              "Isn't it wonderfully," Sadie wondered dreamily out loud.

              When Nadine was about to reply when the boat rocked again, she turned around to see two boys getting again. One was a boy with dark brown curly hair and classes. The other was Sirius from summer balls.

             "Hey," the boy with dark curly hair and classes said cheekily. "My name is James Potter," introduced himself.

             "I'm Sirius Black as you already know." He said winking at Nadine, who just awkwardly nodded her head.

              "Nice to meet you both!" Sadie said happily to be talking to new people. Sadie pulled Every Flavor Beans out of her robe that she bought from the trolly, " Do you want some?" She asked and everyone nodded.

              On the way to Hogwarts as they admired the breathtaking view, they admittedly ate sweets. Nadine had gotten lots of good flavors intel she got cauliflower. She grimaced, she hates cauliflower. Sirius seemed to be getting all the good ones, unlike James who kept eating cabbage and cheese ones.

             When they arrived it was full of students, all dressed in identical black robes, apart from their ties. When they walked into the great hall there seemed to be no ceiling, it was lit with candles. Not just any candles- these candles were floating. Behind the candle was the night sky, it had pendulous grey clouds and glittering stars.

               All of the other students sat on long banquet tables, under their house banners. Sadie had excitedly explained the differences between each house on the way to Hogwarts. Nadine didn't know whether to be nervous or excited.

              Professor McGonagall, a stern-faced witch who had led all of the first years into the hall was now standing beside a stool, holding a mangy old brown hat. Every first-year seemed to be nervous.

              Sadie Avery was the first to be called up to be sorted. The hat was placed on her head, and Sadie was eventually sorted into Slytherin. The snake house turned into tumultuous applause.

              Sirius Black was the second person to go, and he looked positively nervous as he approached the stool. There was some cheering from the Slytherin table, some older students. Two girls with masses of dark curls and the same high cheekbones and full lips at Sirius, who now was nervously staring at them.

              The hall was quiet for a minute waiting for the hat to announce the house when it finally said,

             "Gryffindor!"

              A few moments of stunned silence before the clapping came this time. McGonagall gently lifted the hat from Sirius' head and gave him a small, rare smile.

              He looked horrified and proud at the same time if that is even possible. He glance a couple of times at the Slytherin table as he walked to the Gryffindor's table. Both of the previous girls had narrowed eyes.

              The sorting continued. Lily Evans was also placed in Gryffindor and sat grinning next to a very miserable-looking Sirius. The two girls from Slytherin had said something to him as he sat down.

              When it was finally her turn she could not see why everyone was excited about this, she hated having everyone's eyes on her.

            When she sat on the stool, professor McGonagall lowered the hat on her head.

             "Hmmm," A soft voice spoke in her ear. It was the hat. Nadine tried not to cringe as it purred quietly, "You're an odd one, aren't you? What shall we do with you... perhaps Ravenclaw? There's a good brain in here."

                "But then," the hat considered, "You might go further... much further if we put you in...SLYTHERIN!"

                 As soon as professor McGonagall took the hat off her head, she hurry over to Slytherin, by barely registering the cheering, and sat next to Sadie. When she sat down her eyes wandered over to Sirius and saw him giving her a sad glaze but quickly looked away.

                 After the sorting was over the food appeared. Golden roasted chickens, piles of crispy roast potatoes, plates of steaming carrots, peas swimming in butter, and an enormous jug of rich dark gravy.

               As Nadine was about the start eating the other girl who was also sorted into Slytherin sat across from Sadie and Nadine.

           "Hi, hope you don't mind that I'm sitting here." She said politely, "My name is Bella carrow."

             "It's nice to meet you," Nadine said smiling. "My name is Nadine Nott and this is Sadie Avery."

               "Nice to meet you both."