Chapter Seven: New Beginnings

The familiar narrowed road of the resting place became visible to Hyukjae's sight. The flower beds that were rested side by side on the sidewalk are still covered in few white clouds of dust as the cold winter slowly bid its goodbye. Hyukjae's head started spinning slightly as he was never fond of visiting the place where his sorrow, fear, and anguish are triggering just by seeing the entrance with an engraved text on it.

The last time he remembered visiting the place was 2 years ago, the day after he was discharged from the hospital. He clearly remembered how much he protested in coming in front of Jieun's headstone as he was still in denial of accepting the truth that pierced his already dead heart. He can't accept the fact that his future was sleeping peacefully 6 feet below the ground and with no chance of waking up.

Since then, he never visited her no matter how much his brothers were pleading him to come with them as they thought that it will help him to slowly let go of the love that was already physically ended. But today, it was different. He finally gathered enough courage to say a proper goodbye to the person he promised to spent his life with.

With a brave heart and strong determination, he continued walking through the entrance while holding a lavender bouquet in his right hand while his brother, Jungsoo, is trailing behind him, Heechul was not present as he has an emergency meeting in his office. Nervousness and fear started to hit his vulnerable heart as he was afraid about what will happen when he finally stood in front of her.

He ventured the paths between the headstones bowing to each one of them as the sign of paying his respect. He slows down his pace when he caught sight of the three people standing in front of the familiar headstone on the far corner of the resting place. The beating of his heart became uncontrollable and his legs' weight became unbearable that which made him completely stopped from walking.

He is in a state of confusion if he has the right to face the two people who treated him as a part of their little family all those years. Guilt, shame, and regret blatantly embraced him as this will be the first time he will face the people whom he never dares to face.

"Hyuk, why did you stop?"

Hyukjae snapped to his right when he heard the voice of his brother. He gave him an uneasy look as he can't find the right words on how he will voice out his predicament.

Jungsoo's brows became furrowed when he noticed the solemnity of Hyukjae's eyes. He averted his gaze to the direction where his brother was looking and he realized the rationality of his brother's action when he took a good look at the elderly couple standing in front of the headstone.

It was Jieun's parents.

Jungsoo took a deep breath and gives his brother an encouraging smile and squishes his shoulders, beckoning him to continue walking.

"It's alright Hyuk, let's go."

Hyukjae who's still stuck in his place allowed his brother to guide him closer to the grave. His heart is beating uncontrollably as many unpleasant thoughts had come to his mind. He was not sure what would be the reaction of Jieun's parents about the fact he didn't show up to them nor apologize for what he did from the moment he got discharged from the hospital.

"Good afternoon Mrs. Lee." Jungsoo greeted and the couple that was standing in front of the headstone gently spun their heads to where the voice is coming from.

Hyukjae's body tensed when two pairs of eyes landed on him. He is sweating badly and his heart is beating uncontrollably fast. At the moment he had locked eye contact with Mrs. Lee, he badly wanted to shed tears as the guilt is eating him up. But the guilt suddenly replaced with the feeling of confusion when Mr. Lee beamed at him, and he was more surprised when Mrs. Lee runs into him to give him a warm hug.