Chapter 4 -The Start of the Term Feast

Harry Potter looked up at the staff table. There seemed to be rather more empty seats there than usual. Hagrid was still fighting his way across the lake with the First years. Professor McGonagall would be supervising the drying of the Entrance Hall floor, but there were two other empty chairs too, and Harry could not think who else was missing.

"Where's the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher?" Hermione asked loudly, scanning the High Table.

"I don't know."

Hermione grasped his forearm. "Oh, Merlin! Maybe they couldn't get anyone!"

Just then, Emilia entered the Great Hall through the staff side door, elegantly dressed in deep purple robes cinched at the waist with a sash, a modest burgundy dress underneath. Her chestnut brown hair was done up in a french twist bun, secured by a serpent-like ruby pin. Her amethyst ring was apparent on her finger.

She took a seat beside Severus, noting that the empty seat next to her was for McGonagall who would sit beside the Headmaster. Emilia caught Dumbledore's eye and gave a shy smile. He returned with a comforting smile.

"Evening, Professor Snape," Emilia said quietly.

The brooding wizard was solely focused on the Slytherin table.

Severus grunted in reply.

Emilia followed his line of sight. It appeared that Severus was scrutinising a Slytherin boy. The unmistakable platinum blonde hair stood out.

A Malfoy.

The Great Hall opened and silence fell. Professor McGonagall was leading a long line of First years up to the top of the hall. Emilia shifted her attention to the group of cold, shivering students. They looked as though they had swum across the Great Lake instead of sailing on it.

"Oh Circe, the poor children looked so cold and miserable!"

"Thunderstorms," Severus muttered in annoyance, wondering why would anyone care about these pathetic dunderheads.

Emilia scoffed."Obviously, I know that."

A boy with mousy hair wrapped in what Emilia recognised as Hagrid's overcoat. The coat was too large for him, he looked as though he was drowning in that fabric. His little face protruded over the collar, looking extremely excited.

When he had lined up with his other peers, he caught a Third-year Gryffindor boy's eye, gave him a double thumbs-up, and mouthed, I fell in the lake! He looked positively delighted about it.

Emilia thought the boy looked adorable with Hagrid's coat and his spirited antics, she gave a giggle.

Severus turned to face Emilia with a sneer. "What's so amusing, Rosier?"

"Oh, nothing you would appreciate. And it's Professor Rosier now, Snape."

Severus rolled his eyes and let out a derisive snort.

Look who's back.

Professor McGonagall now placed a three-legged stool on the ground before the First years and, on top of it, an extremely old, dirty, patched wizard's hat. The First years stared at it, so did everyone else. There was a moment of silence. Then, a long tear near the brim opened wide like a mouth, and the hat broke into a song:

A thousand years or more ago,
When I was newly sewn, 
There lived four wizards of renown,
Whose names are still well known:
Bold Gryffindor, from wild moor,
Fair Ravenclaw, from glen,
Sweet Hufflepuff,from valley broad, 
Shrewd Slytherin, from fen.
They shared a wish, a hope, a dream,
They hatched a daring plan
To educate young sorcerers
Thus Hogwarts School began.
Now each of these four founders
Formed their own house, for each 
Did value different virtues
In the ones they had to teach.
By Gryffindor, the bravest were 
Prized far beyond the rest;
For Ravenclaw, the cleverest 
Would always be the best;
For Hufflepuff, hard workers were
Most worthy of admission;
And power-hungry Slytherin
Loved those of great ambition.
While still alive they did divide
Their favourites from the throng,
Yet how to pick the worthy ones
When they were dead and gone?
'Twas Gryffindor who found the way,
He whipped me off his head
The founders put some brains in me
So I could choose instead!
Now slip me snug about your ears,
I've never yet been wrong,
I'll have a look inside your mind
And tell where you belong!