Chapter 8 - The Chosen One

Emilia entered the candlelit Great Hall, with many already seated, in anticipation of the announcement of the champions. She took her usual seat, beside Severus and scanned the Gryffindor table. Both the Weasley twins were clean-shaven again and seemed to have taken their failure fairly well. The twins waved at their Defence professor, recognising that she was a professor that was not too serious and knew how to have fun. She nodded, returning a smile.

"I see that you have associated yourself with the likes of the Weasley clan," Severus drawled in his baritone voice.

Can't keep your mouth shut can you, Severus?

"I like the boys, they are funny," Emilia replied, turning to look at the Potion professor.

Severus rolled his eyes. "They create trouble at every opportunity. How is that funny?"

A smirk curved on her lips. "Professor, I'm sure you misbehaved when you were younger, no?" She teased.

Severus cleared his throat, uncomfortable that their conversation has led to his past.

And what's with that sudden sultry voice?

"Eat, Rosier and stop babbling," Severus muttered, turning to his food. He picked up his fork and speared through the peas.

Emilia chuckled, "yes, yes." She too tucked into her meal.

The students were getting restless and eager as they continuously craned their necks to check whether the Headmaster had finished his meal. The Headmaster was surely taking his own sweet time, savouring the food.

After a long wait, the plates cleared up leaving the tables spotless. Dumbledore got on his feet and stood in front of the Goblet of Fire. Everyone grew with anticipation as whispers became loud chattering as they patiently wait for the cup to unveil the names of the champions.

The flames inside the goblet turned suddenly red. Sparks began to fly from it. In the next moment, a tongue of flame shot into the air, and a charred piece of parchment fluttered out of it — the whole room gasped.

Dumbledore caught the piece of parchment and held it at arm's length so that he could read it by the light of the flames, which had turned back to blue-white.

The Headmaster adjusted his glasses. He cleared his throat, clearing enjoying the drawn-out suspension. "The champion for Durmstrang," he read, in a strong, clear voice, "will be Viktor Krum."

The Great Hall rang in applause. Emilia distinctly heard Ron cheering loudly for Krum, known to be the Seeker for the Bulgarian National Quidditch team.

The clapping and chattering died down as everyone's attention was focused on the goblet again, which turned red once more. The second piece of parchment shot out of it, propelled by the flames.

"The champion for Beauxbatons," said Dumbledore, "is Fleur Delacour!"

"Oh!" Emilia exclaimed and leaned towards Severus. "Did you know that she's a quarter Veela?"

Severus arched an eyebrow, not realising that he too had veered closer to the witch. He shook his head in mock disapproval. "Rosier, you're a lot of things but a gossipmonger is not what I would expect." He caught the rising pink on her cheeks as a sheepish smile formed on her lips.

Emilia playfully elbowed his arm and Severus stiffened up. He pulled away quickly, turning his attention to the Goblet of Fire.

"The Hogwarts champion," Dumbledore raised his voice, a tad excitedly – "is Cedric Diggory!"

The Hufflepuff stood up. Applause and cheers filled the room. Severus, for once, was clapping since it was not a Gryffindor, as many would expect. Cedric headed off towards the chamber behind the teacher's table, earning a pat on his back from Hagrid.