Chapter 22 - A Resolution

Emilia awoke in her human form, she stretched and rubbed her eyes. The morning sunlight seeped through the cracks of the Shrieking Shack. She felt tired, as usual, after her transformation. But, the need to seek out Severus to clear up the misunderstanding ebbed the weariness away. She stood up and made her way back to the castle.

Emilia cast a quick cleansing charm on the dirtied hem of her robes, before walking down the stairs leading to the Dungeons. As she approached her chambers, she caught sight of the black-clad figure of Severus Snape leaning against her door. His eyes were closed and his arms crossed. He looked like a vampire, Emilia pressed her lips together to stifle her laugh.

She quietly advanced in front of Severus. She scrutinised his sleeping face, the usual lines between his brows softened. With his features relaxed, Emilia realised that Severus looked quite handsome. Severus' jaws slackened and he emitted a soft snore. Emilia almost broke out in laughter, and quickly covered her mouth. She would bet that nobody would have thought Severus looked endearing, almost harmless when asleep.

Emilia raised her hand and with her index finger lightly bopped the tip of Severus' nose. He frowned in his sleep and swatted Emilia's hand away, like an irksome fly. Emilia was grinning like an idiot as her eyes glinted with mischief. She tried it once more, pressing her finger on his nose.

Severus' eyes flew open. The close proximity between himself and Emilia caught him by surprise and he quickly tried to back away. Only to hit his head hard against Emilia's door. Severus grimaced.

At this, Emilia burst out laughing, holding on to her stomach. The tension between them seemed to dissolve as a crooked smile formed on Severus' lips.

When Emilia regained her composure, she raised a questioning eyebrow. "How long were you standing here for?"

Severus gave a small smile, "since last night."

Emilia's jaws dropped. "You were here the whole night?"

Severus nodded. He stretched out his legs feeling the soreness at the ball of his feet. He cracked his neck and winced. Emilia sent an apologetic look.

"I'm fine, Emilia," Severus reassured. Then, a look of concern flashed across his countenance. "Are you alright? You did not return the entire night."

Emilia bit her lower lip, feeling slightly guilty that she had to lie. She gave a quick smile. "I had to stay over at the Rosier Manor. Grandaunt was ill."

Severus frowned. "Oh."

Emilia waved it off. "She had a cold. Just a mild one."

Severus nodded in acknowledgement. "Poppy has Pepper-up potions stored in the Hospital Wing if you need it," Severus offered awkwardly.

"We have some at home," Emilia said with an appreciative smile.

"Yes, of course," Severus mumbled, casting his gaze downward. He remembered that he was supposed to apologise and became quite anxious. He ran a hand through his hair and swallowed thickly.

"Emilia. I...I would like to apologise for my words and actions. I've hurt you more than once." Severus took a deep breath before continuing, "I hope that you could accept my apolo- Wait. No. It's alright if you do not accept my apology. I'm willing to work for it," Severus said sincerely, still daring not to look her in the eye.

Emilia touched his forearm. Severus tensed.

"Severus?"

He glanced up and to his relief, Emilia was smiling widely. "I accept your apology. You don't have to work for it."