The Art of Being Loved

Upon his relocation to Canada to train at the Ice Academy of Montreal, Yuri Plisetsky furthers his previously fuck-buddy-only relationship with Jean-Jacques Leroy. After Jean's rut, and quite the revelation for formerly-beta Yuri, a test stick turns pink. Somehow, everything ends up okay.

Or:

Written for the Storkswap exchange, this 14K monster follows Yuri Plisetsky and Jean-Jacques Leroy through friendship, companionship, and accidental mating, to become a family.

This story is actually Pliroy! It was written for an exchange, gifted to my dear friend Alex.

***

This is a gift work for ScribblesInTheMargins for the Storkswap 2021 exchange! The requested tags used were: A/B/O - Overprotective
Alpha while Omega is pregnant, Omega Gets Pregnant During First-Ever Heat, Late-blooming omega thought he was a beta until accidental pregnancy proved otherwise, Alpha/Beta/Omega Dynamics, and Unplanned/Accidental Pregnancy.

I know you were promised a platonic Otabek & Yuri relationship, Scribbles, but I'm so sorry, that plot just got too long. And this is 14K, so when I say too long, I mean too long. BUT, I fully intend to write that anyway, so at that point, it'll be gifted to you! I hope you enjoy this monster fic, Pliroy Queen!

Reading Explanations:

In this fic, I made the abysmal decision to name two characters "Jean-something." So, when a character is referred to as only "Jean," that character will always be JJ. I'm sorry if this causes any confusion; it confuses me, too.

Additionally, the sections of this story will be divided in two ways; with "~~~~~~~~~~" and with "***". The asterisks signify a passing of time within the current plot of the fic, whereas the ~~~~ (squiggles?) signify a jump to the future-moment of the fic. I'm not explaining this well, but you'll get the hang of it.

~~~~~~

Yuri yawned, nestled all too comfortably in his cocoon of blankets, still drowsing despite the sun steadily snaking rays across the cool hardwood of the bedroom floor. It had been a late night, at least by Yuri's changed standards, and though the clock showed half past ten, he was in no hurry to reenter the world of bustle and people and things to do. Secluded in the bedroom, the air around him laced with the gently content scents of himself, his mate, and someone altogether new, the world was quiet, and Yuri got to doze in the cool tide of the morning.

And, as if to the sole purpose of proving him wrong, a kick landed on his liver.

Yuri grunted, not quite conscious enough to verbalize some, more-articulate statement, but blearily lifted a palm to rub his abdomen, just over where he'd been kicked. Since getting pregnant -- entirely by accident, amidst a swirl of commitments, engulfed in panic upon the stick turning blue -- Yuri's morning routine, and general routine, had changed considerably.

As of eight months ago, he'd been a beta. As of seven, he'd been an omega, and a late-blooming one at that. 22 was old for a presentation, even in the world of professional athletes, in which puberty and growth were too often delayed as long as physically possible, and, given that omegas generally had their first heats at 18, Yuri was an anomaly all around.

Which helped make sense of the fact, he figured, that his baby was, too.

He'd been on vacation when it happened, when he'd had the shock of his life and been thrown head-over-ass into a pot of boiling hormones, catapulting his life into apparently-irrevocable confusion. The off-season, early April, and he'd been invited to Canada under the guise of looking at a new coach after Yakov retired. Honestly, Yuri hadn't been all too swayed by the fact that said coach was stationed in Montreal, employed at The Ice Academy of Montreal, where Alain and Nathalie Leroy worked. It was, simply, the cherry on top of his lovely, new, prospective contract that his on-again off-again lover trained in the same rink he would, possibly even sharing ice time.