Safe in Your Arms

~ Mpreg (there is something very wrong with me, I am aware), domestic fluff, and squirrel humor

A scrabble outside drew Otabek to the door. It was most likely nothing, just some animal running over the gravel drive and walkway and making an infernal racket-- God, the thing was a nuisance. With the knowledge that there was a 99.99% chance that this was the source of the noise, Otabek set his hand on the doorknob-- just to check. He couldn't not. Because it might not be a squirrel.

Otabek knew he was thinking wishfully; he knew that Yuri's plane got in at a quarter to seven and it was barely five; he knew that he was picking Yuri up and there was no fucking way that it was him in the driveway. But the four months of separation had taken a toll on him, and if there was even the slightest off-chance that by some miracle of nature it was Yuri in the driveway, he needed to be sure.

Married for four years in a month, Yuri and Otabek were very much in love, a fact which only made four months' separation harder to deal with. Yuri had remained in their tiny apartment in Saint Petersburg while Otabek had headed to Almaty to set up the house they'd bought only a few weeks before. Ideally, he wouldn't have left so early, arriving with Yuri several months later, but his record label had signed him up for a tour just over six months ago, and between flying to cities halfway around the globe to perform and trying to settle some more domestic squabbles, it had just become easier to head to Almaty early, leave for the tour a week later, and return three days before Yuri arrived. On a normal occasion, Yuri would've accompanied Otabek on tour, or even stayed in Almaty to deal with moving in, but he'd had obligations from his (now finished) job at Victor and Yuuri's dance studio to fulfill and it just wouldn't have made sense for him to leave before he had.

Which lead to this: Otabek going crazy waiting to see his husband for the first time in four months and stalking a squirrel on the off-chance (and by off chance he meant 9,000 to -.001 against) that said squirrel was actually Yuri, the man having worked his usual magic to get himself an earlier flight in hopes of surprising Otabek. Which really wasn't something so out of character for him to do.

So, mentally rolling his eyes at himself and his newly developed stalker-like tendencies, Otabek pulled open the front door; hey, if all else failed, he figured, he could become a professional nature photographer and get paid to not-so-secretly obsess over his husband and his possible relations to squirrels.

Chuckling softly at the thought, and wondering vaguely if the prolonged separation had actually sent him off the deep end, (he was venturing dangerously close to Victor territory) Otabek stepped out onto the front porch.

Fucking Christ.

Of course it was in Yuri's character to book an earlier flight and find his way from the airport to the house without telling anyone, because, naturally, that was what the little shit had done.

As Otabek stood on the doorstep, moments from yanking himself out of his stupid, trance-like state at seeing his husband again, Yuri (or someone who looked remarkably like Yuri, cheetah print bag and all), stood on that godforsaken gravel drive, tugging violently at his suitcase, trying to, from the looks of it, extricate its wheels from the gravel that they'd become stuck in.

With one last hearty yank, the suitcase came free, and, tucking a lock of long, blonde hair behind his ear, Yuri continued to approach the front door. He watched his suitcase distrustfully for a second as he pulled it along, then turned his back on the infernal thing, and his thin t-shirt pulled taut across his body, highlighting the curve at his navel. Glancing up, red-faced and sweating in the scorching Almaty heat, Yuri saw Otabek; they locked eyes.

Yuri didn't pounce on Otabek in their usual greeting fashion, partially because Yuri remained a good six feet away, and partly because to reach Otabek he'd have to vault over five steps onto the front porch, and, though Otabek didn't doubt Yuri could do it, it would have been exceedingly stupid to try; the gravel was an unsteady surface to take off from, and it would probably result in a broken ankle.