07

CHAPTER SEVEN

▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬

2021

          Stephen Delaroux was a monumental man.

          Besides being internationally recognized as a professor, lecturer, and screenwriter, he also stood at an impressive height of six-foot-three. Whenever people talked about his age and his retirement, it was easy to think about him as a frail old man who depended on a cane to move around, but then he'd casually mention the fact that he successfully hiked to the summit of Pikes Peak and I remembered what an actual powerhouse he actually was.

          It had taken him a while to warm up to me, as people rarely ever saw him around, and I truly hated taking advantage of my parents' influence, but I did what I had to do. I'd done it for Chase, who looked forward to a reunion with his mentor, and for the sake of my relationship with him. I'd gotten close to Stephen to get close to Chase and learn more about him, but, to my utter surprise, I'd grown to genuinely like the man.

          "Penelope," he greeted, the very second he laid eyes on me that night, and opened his arms to welcome me into one of his signature bear hugs. My parents weren't huggers and it wasn't like I got to do this with Chase that often, not under our current circumstances, so I silently hoped Stephen wouldn't feel desperation pouring out of every single one of my pores when I gladly accepted the gesture. "It's great to see you again."

          "Likewise," I replied, voice slightly muffled. It was hard to speak clearly while being squeezed against someone's chest, but that came with the suffocating need to be touched, to be held. It was a consequence I'd happily accept as long as I got some comfort in return, but it didn't take away from how badly I was shaking. My legs were on the verge of giving out by the time he took a step back. "Thanks for coming."

          He briefly winked at me. "It's always a pleasure."

          "Stephen!" my mother called, walking into the hall as she stepped out of her study. The manor was big enough for her to not have noticed our arrival until now, but I found it odd that the staff hadn't informed her, even though she certainly liked to make an entrance. She air kissed Stephen, a common practice and inside joke between the two of them, being longtime friends, then reached out for my hands to pull me closer. "Penny. You look wonderful."

          She looked incredible, because of course she did; she was Andrea Romero, after all, and I'd never seen her look anything but extraordinary. Even when she wasn't wearing any makeup, she always looked expensive. The champagne-colored dress she wore emphasized that perfectly, contrasting with the golden tone of her skin and the dark hair she wore in a curly updo. I noticed, with a wave of warmth rushing into my heart, that she was also wearing the earrings I'd gotten her for Christmas last year.

          My parents deserved some credit. They were good parents, in spite of all my complaints, and I knew they'd tried their best while I was growing up. They had more responsibilities than the regular parent, which I couldn't blame them for, but I still wished they had been more present. A lot of things could have turned out different if they had.

          "Hola, mami," I said, letting her kiss me on the forehead.

          Ingrid had let me borrow one of her dresses for the evening, even though I'd still sensed a hint of animosity when she let me raid her closet. I knew she'd always wanted to come to the Romero manor, and I supposed I should have invited her to come over for dinner at least once, but I couldn't risk having her run her mouth and say something that would ruin my life. My parents didn't like her—if anything, they preferred Savannah—and she was well aware of that, which made her even more dangerous. Ingrid was petty and vindictive, so I wouldn't be entirely shocked if she made a snide comment or two about me just to get back at my parents and divert the negative attention away from her.