Chapter 7 Black Bricked River

I was falling again, though I fell a lot slower. It took me a moment to realise that I was actually sinking, sinking down into the dark deep of a bottomless sea. The sun was but a pinprick above, the water below as black as the night sky.

"Ow!" Ren exclaimed in agony, the same way he had in my previous dream.

"Where are my children!" Aster's voice joined his. "Mason!"

"I want to go home." Olive's voice sounded next, followed by Rae and Bianca's wails.

Slimy tentacles rose from the depths to wrap around my limbs, suckers toothy and grazing my bare flesh.

I opened my mouth to scream and sucked in water, the salt scouring my throat bloody. I inhaled, exhaled, inhaled, exhaled salt water; tentacles pulling me into the abyss while I drowned.

Ren woke me so I could take my shift keeping watch while everyone else slept.

"Sorry to wake you so early." He yawned. "But I need a nap."

"I understand." I sat up, running a hand through my long locks.

"I knew you would." He curled up next to me in a foetal position.

I looked around at everyone's slumbering forms before standing to stretch my legs and back.

A low hanging fog had settled in the woodlands, hovering over the rushing water of the river that was fed by a high waterfall. I admired the beauty of the landscape, running my hands through my hair again and deciding it was in need of a wash.

I lied down on my back, dropping my hair into the stream. I looked at the world upside down as I took my time washing my thick hair.

At first, I thought that I was looking at a shadow between the trees, but then it started to move closer.

I sat up, turning around to face what could only be a Vampire with long incisors, red irises and sleek dark hair. It looked nothing like Edward.

In ragged clothes and with bruises and welts pocketing its white flesh it lunged at me with phenomenal speed before I could raise alarm.

I struggled as it pushed me down to the ground, hands around my neck. I managed to kick out and hurt its leg, the creature hissing and rolling off me. The Vampire rolled right on top of Drake, who woke screaming-subsequently awaking everyone else.

"Anyone have a stake?" I stood, rubbing at my neck as the Vampire lunged at me again. I had never fought a physical fight in my entire life-I had never needed to. I was utterly defenceless as the Vampire tackled me to the ground again, clawing at my arms I shielded my face with.

"Get off her!" Margot kicked the Vampire in the side, sending it rolling into the river.

Ren and Iris helped me to my feet and get away from the river.

"I hate Vampires." The Demon announced. "They're like tics on the backside of my arse."

"There's more than one!" Maxime alerted as five more Vampires emerged from the woods, all looking rabid and lustful for our lifeforce.

"I'm too young and pretty to die!" Iris wailed like a damsel in distress.

"We're all too young and pretty to die!" Ren joined her in her hysteria.

"Get a fucking grip!" Margot rolled up her sleeves and delivered a mean punch to the first Vampire's face, blood splattering with the Vampire falling limp at her feet.